Author Topic: Adywan's Star Wars Revisited - DVD Review  (Read 33872 times)

Spookymufu

Re: Adywan's Star Wars Revisited - DVD Review
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
Another disc bites the dust and 3 more dollars down the toilet.

okay.....I burned all 175 VTS files onto a DL DVD-R, so the files are right on the disk, but no players can read it........do I have to have the files inside of a Video_TS and Audio_TS folders on the DVD, because I burned the VTS files right onto the DVD-R.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 05:42:19 AM »
Spooky,

No! you are doing it wrong. Hold on for a few hours and I will do a screen grab of what the contents of my discs have on them. It is hard to explain but easy to show.

So far I've burned 2 discs without a hitch...

I promise you, if you get it right your 4 wasted disks will not have been in vain...

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 06:15:27 AM »
Ok Spooky, here is what I have done step-by-step.

First off make sure you know the location of the extracted Star Wars Revisited folder (it should be called 'STAR_WARS_REVISITED_PAL_DVD_9')

I then opened Power To Go and selected the 'Video / Photodisc option. then I selected the 'Burn DVD Folder' option

Then I was asked to browse for the location of the Folder I wanted to burn to the disk. So I selected the extracted Star Wars Revisited_PAL_DVD_9 Folder, making sure I opted for the slowest burn speed.

The I just pressed BURN! and hey presto it worked...

When the disc is burned this should be the contents...

If you fail again PM me your address and I'll burn you a copy and send it to you myself.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:28:10 AM by hangarbay94 »

Spookymufu

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »
yup, I'm giving up on this, NERO will select "DVD" mode automatically when it reads the VTS files, it burns at 2X speed with no option for any other speed. I just dont think my PC is up to this. My wife has a HP laptop with Vista witch I'm almost positive could burn this correctly but I dont know where the burn software is on it and I dont know how to use it (I dont use vista on my PC, I like and stick with XP Pro....

I can watch it directly off the files tho on my PC and it is AMAZING!

They did an incredible job on it. I only have two things I would have liked to be changed....the scene where Luke and Biggs are talking in the hanger could have been left out and it's too bad they didnt fix the light reflection off R2s dome when he and Chewie are playing chess

But it's an awesome cut, and it will be my go-to version :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:43:37 PM by Spookymufu »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
Spooky, sorry about that! Glad you liked the movie in the end.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »
Finally got around to doing this AND getting it to work.  (Took me 3 discs--so like they say, "Third time is the charm.")

The video quality was great on this one.  There were a few small continuity glitches where things were changed here and there; but if I weren't aware of the changes I wonder if I'd have even noticed. 

I didn't see any video alterations which I didn't like, and some alterations were down right "rewarding" to see, if that makes sense.  I think many-a old school fan will understand what I'm getting at after seeing it for themselves.

There was one predominant "audio" issue which bothered me throughout though.  I'd be curios if anyone else thought something was a bit off there.  Regardless, I'll be popping this version in for future viewing every now and then.

Glad to have been informed of this.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
i finally managed  to watch this all the way thru   and was awesome  !  i loved all the touches and changes  like when the Tantive IV is hit having the ship shudder and the engines go out to  giving some of the cantina denizens  blinking eyes and facial movement!  ,to changing it so that Dr Evezan get his arm lopped off (and no blood just a cauterised amputation ) to the fantastic death star exteriors and making the Dianoga blink! plus giving the falcon waaaay more movement in the deathstar escape scenes  and the utterly fanbloodytastic Battle of Yavin  ,the changes are waaaaaay to numerous to mention but i guarantee you this, EVERY time you watch this you will spot something new!   you have to remember this is a fan edit ... but bloody hell!    its by far and away the best  one i have ever seen .hes even revisited the flamin menu's!.

BR : i didnt notice any audio issues on my copy whatsoever mate and i was running it thru a 5.1 prologicII set up   .the only issue i had was with the music in the Vader/Old Ben duel  i felt it was everso slightly muddled ,but that was about it .

oh and no more Greedo shoots first cobblers either!!   yaaaaay!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:15:13 PM by wraithnine »
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Spookymufu

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »
I like that they fixed it and made Luke say "blast it wedge, where are you"....that always bugged me. I also liked Luke screaming "Biggs!" when he gets blasted into bits was cool.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »
Based on the low number of responses in the last few days, I'll go ahead and say what my issues were with the film.  I didn't want to plant a seed in anyone's mind that might prohibit a first time viewer from an enjoyable experience--and this fan edit IS an enjoyable experience.  Sometimes if something deemed negative is pointed out to someone that might not have noticed anything before, once they hear it, they can't "un-hear" it.  Anyway, if you haven't already watched this fan edit once, I recommend NOT reading the rest of my post.

Now that that is out of the way:

In my mind, the voices of Owen, Luke and Han had almost a chipmunk like quality throughout most of their dialog.  It was subtle, but there.  Owen's seemed that way every time he spoke.  Luke and Han had lines that seemed normal in my ear; but that sped up/slowed down Alvin-Simon-Theodore sound plagued the entire movie.  Beru's voice actually sounded like it was dubbed over by someone else.

Wraithnine: I suppose it's possible something about my sound system caused me to notice/imagine this; but I'd suspect I'd have heard something similar in my many other copies of this movie.  (Who doesn't own at least 3-4 dang copies of this movie?  LOL!)  Plus, that none of the other character voices seemed to sound this way to me, doesn't seem to support the idea of a bad data transfer or improper sound system setup.   :-\

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
Based on the low number of responses in the last few days, I'll go ahead and say what my issues were with the film.  I didn't want to plant a seed in anyone's mind that might prohibit a first time viewer from an enjoyable experience--and this fan edit IS an enjoyable experience.  Sometimes if something deemed negative is pointed out to someone that might not have noticed anything before, once they hear it, they can't "un-hear" it.  Anyway, if you haven't already watched this fan edit once, I recommend NOT reading the rest of my post.

Now that that is out of the way:

In my mind, the voices of Owen, Luke and Han had almost a chipmunk like quality throughout most of their dialog.  It was subtle, but there.  Owen's seemed that way every time he spoke.  Luke and Han had lines that seemed normal in my ear; but that sped up/slowed down Alvin-Simon-Theodore sound plagued the entire movie.  Beru's voice actually sounded like it was dubbed over by someone else.

Wraithnine: I suppose it's possible something about my sound system caused me to notice/imagine this; but I'd suspect I'd have heard something similar in my many other copies of this movie.  (Who doesn't own at least 3-4 dang copies of this movie?  LOL!)  Plus, that none of the other character voices seemed to sound this way to me, doesn't seem to support the idea of a bad data transfer or improper sound system setup.   :-\

i honestly didnt hear a problem  mate ...hmmmm very strange 
 ,one thing i think we can all agree on ,is that it is one hell of an edit and must have been an awesome undertaking
well i hope BR that the audio problem didn't spoil your enjoyment of this fantastic update   too much  :)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »

i honestly didnt hear a problem  mate ...hmmmm very strange 
 ,one thing i think we can all agree on ,is that it is one hell of an edit and must have been an awesome undertaking
well i hope BR that the audio problem didn't spoil your enjoyment of this fantastic update   too much  :)
[/quote]

You're right about that.  I almost hesitated sharing my issue on the forums because there is just SO much that's great about this edit--wrongs that were righted, added effects and etc--that my issues pale in comparison.  Still, I will remain curious if others feel they hear the same thing.

Spookymufu

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »
I did hear something "different" in the audio but it wasnt sped up sound tracks, it was how much more bright and pronounced the dialogue was, not as muddled as the originals, for example, in the cantina when the troopers talk to the bartender, I never heard exactly what they said other then "we'll check it out", I never heard "I heard you had a problem in here?" before. There are other things as well. I also liked how they changed "this ones locked move on to the next one", that needed to be changed as it didnt make any sense either...
But over all the sound was cleaner and more crisp.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:14 AM »
  Beru's voice actually sounded like it was dubbed over by someone else.

In fact Beru's voice was indeed dubbed in SW.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »
I am watching mine right now. It is so much more clear! Vader's voice sounded a little off to me in the opening scene, but I think that is me trying to nitpick. For the life of me the visual effects (like R2's green lights on his dome that I haven't seen before) just blow me away. I would love to have two tvs side by side and play this and the other version to pick everything out. It is amazing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
Holy cow, I just got done with this and I was blown away. It was worth getting it just for the Battle of Yavin alone and there is so much more to it. I loved seeing those effects of the falcon fighting off the ties too. It was amazing and is hard to believe that this was not professionally done. Seeing this gives me hope that the fans will take the movies in the right direction whether George does or not!