Author Topic: Clonehead's custom figures #2  (Read 111416 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's custom figures #2
« Reply #675 on: February 07, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
Thanks a lot, gentlemen! I have a good feeling about this one.
If i may digress, I have another tangent project that I started last night. As I have said, I get excited about a new part sometimes and I just had to find a use for one of those Sgt Airborne heads that I just got a mold working for. I wanted to make some kind of strike team member using that head and a dollar store Duke body and I am having so much fun painting faces anyways...........
OK, one more face painting tutorial and I will quit. I started the same way, painting the whites of his eyes, then I dotted blue for the cornias paying more attention to where the bottom of the dot was in the white of his eyes. Then I used a dark grey to paint a line of his upper eyelid, once again paying attention to where the bottom of the line was. I also did the line of his mouth, his nostrals, and the line where his skin met the openings in the mask with that color. Then came the flesh. After that, I used some dark brown to paint some conservative eyebrows. and mixed a more pink version of the flesh for his lips. The raised outline of the mask openings got a dark grey and the rest of the mask got a medium grey which still looks dark to me. I used the matte varnish to seal it all except the eyes so they would retain a shiny sheen. I figure if I use this grey for the whole body and then put a 3 color camo scheme over the top of it that it will look pretty cool.

I like him. I had been thinking of giving him a stogie though. What do you guys think?

As always, fine looking works here Clonehead.

I was noticing on the last few photos the outstanding paintwork you're doing and it begs a question. On the last CAFN roundtable you made a joke about the new 6" figure line and the fact that our eye sight is suffering with age. How are you able to get that nice detail on the eyes? What's your secret? I've tried extra lighting and spectacles and I still don't get that sharp focus of yesteryear.    ;D
Thanks for your praise, my friend. It is the curse of my terrible nearsighted eyesight that becomes such a gift when working with small stuff like paintwork or cleanup of my parts. You see, when uncorrected, with my contact lenses out, I can focus on stuff that is a mere 4-5 inches from my eyes which is a lot like looking through a magnifying glass or using one of those headache inducing headpieces but better. My curse is my saving grace in this case and the reason why i would never consider lasic surgery.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #676 on: February 08, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
just a teaser shot, folks, of the beginnings of her body paintwork.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #677 on: February 08, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Aces on the color choice. Nice!

Offline The Willoughbian

• Lieutenant
« Reply #678 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »
It's looking good. I'm going to have to score some of these armor sets from you.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #679 on: February 08, 2013, 04:21:43 PM »
I like the head sculpt, Avengers Widow?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #680 on: February 08, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »
I like the head sculpt, Avengers Widow?
Yep, that is her, Shawn. Thanks Big W and DS! I am thinking of using a gold or yellowish tan color for her underclothing and am debating about doing the same fade-weather style to her armor as the blue mando gal.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #681 on: February 09, 2013, 06:34:33 AM »
Yes, I know i am all over the place here. I just do some work inbetween casting runs.
  I wanted to show a product that up until now, I had never used before for some reason. In Hobby lobby, I came across these SIG brand CA glue applicator tips. I had been using the cheaper of the super glue packs that I could find which are these black tubes with black tips that come in a 4 pack at walmart for about $1.50. What I didnt like about the black tips is that you couldnt see the glue coming until it got there. These applicator tips are clear and negated that problem. To use em, you need to shave off the threads at the bottom of the normal superglue tip and slide the aftermarket tip on. The glue doesnt set up while in the tip just sitting there and when I use accelerator with it and the tip clogs up, I just cut it back to the liquid part of the glue again. with as often as I use the accelerator and clog tips up, I find that using these tips, I can make a tip last as long as the tube of glue. Now the real advantage is the precision that one can achieve with using the glue with these tips. Great for little jobs or filling holes with less of a chance of air bubble retention. I will never go back.

you can see in this shot where I have shaved the threads off of the factory tip

Now for something I had hinted at a day or so ago. Here is the obligitory disclaimer: Folks, I am a smoker and want to quit. I in no way support a claim that smoking is cool or the way to pass your time or make your life pass more quickly. Kids, smoking is bad for you. OK, now, lets give my strike force commando guy a cigar.............

using a fine bit, I drill a hole in between his lips nearly at one corner of his mouth. Using this 24 GA craft wire I found at walmart which is perfect for smaller drilling and pinning tasks among other things, I clipped a length and glued it into the drilled hole.  Afterwords, I trimmed it to length, painted it brown with grey ashes at the tip and just a hint of florescent orange which looks about right in normal light but glows in decent proximity to a black light. This is my figures way of saying "i dont care if they have night vision, I'm firing up!"

Don't smoke kids, it's bad for you

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #682 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
She looks great; the Widow head worked well and your paint apps take away the "I'm Scarlett Johannsen" look (Is that good or bad?), makes her look a bit more "Mando".

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #683 on: February 09, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
She looks great; the Widow head worked well and your paint apps take away the "I'm Scarlett Johannsen" look (Is that good or bad?), makes her look a bit more "Mando".
thats good. I had fun painting that head. When it was just bare resin, all the way up to when I started putting the flesh color on, I thought she kind of looked ugly but as I got closer to being done, she got more attractive.
Thanks for your praise.

Offline dr0d26

• Lieutenant
« Reply #684 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »
she is turning out great man.. I like the color combo you choose..

the cigar looks really good and its a nice touch to make this figure unique..

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #685 on: February 09, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »
I agree with you on the smoking thing, but wow that is so cool Clint. I can remember my very first custom having a pic of him with a stogey I thought was pretty daggone awesome.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #686 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
Dark and Sour had won that auction with 5 of those heads on ebay and wrote to me asking that I paint em up for them. At least he didnt ask for a smoking squad.LOL
btw Shawn, I now have a 5 head female set available

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #687 on: February 10, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
another teaser shot. I am still messing around with the color choice. What do you guys think about the orange gold looking undercovering colors? does the scheme seem to iron manny?

Look at the left and right chest plates. The right one has a version of the lighter and darker splotchy paint of the blue female mando and the left side has lighter shade drybrushing applied. I think i like the right side better.

I also put up  shot of the factory widow head next to my resin painted version. Boy, those big red lips make a difference.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #688 on: February 10, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »
If anything, the colors remind me of that Bastila Shan figure from TVC, but the yellow-orange is a bit more dulled and gritty on yours, so that's infinitely better, IMO.

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #689 on: February 10, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »
another teaser shot. I am still messing around with the color choice. What do you guys think about the orange gold looking undercovering colors? does the scheme seem to iron manny?

Look at the left and right chest plates. The right one has a version of the lighter and darker splotchy paint of the blue female mando and the left side has lighter shade drybrushing applied. I think i like the right side better.

I also put up  shot of the factory widow head next to my resin painted version. Boy, those big red lips make a difference.

Right side.