Author Topic: Clonehead's custom figures #2  (Read 111502 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's custom figures #2
« Reply #615 on: January 16, 2013, 07:16:56 AM »
Clint she is looking fabulous! Such a great figure! On the belt, may I suggest a black wash to darken the beeper lines followed by either a orange/brown dry brush or tan dry brush to bring out the details. I thik that would set off the pouches for sure.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #616 on: January 17, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »
Another awesome update, another awesome front page story.

Looks like you are getting close to completion on this one.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #617 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »
Incredible work.  Simply incredible. 

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline dr0d26

• Lieutenant
« Reply #618 on: January 17, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »
She starting to look really good.. Nice use of the evergreen. I find it very useful for straps, belts, etc..

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #619 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Clint she is looking fabulous! Such a great figure! On the belt, may I suggest a black wash to darken the beeper lines followed by either a orange/brown dry brush or tan dry brush to bring out the details. I thik that would set off the pouches for sure.
I mean to do something similar, LE. I usually, brush on the darker line rather than wash. It takes longer but seems to show more definition. I had started the tan drybrush already  but may need more. I have a rust color that might work under the tan.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I am anxious to start on the final steps but have been swamped with parts orders all day and will be tomorrow by the looks of things.

She starting to look really good.. Nice use of the evergreen. I find it very useful for straps, belts, etc..
Thanks, yep, that is what I got that stuff for. Nice and easy to use.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #620 on: January 17, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Looking amazing as usual.  I love this color scheme.  I love the blue on grey.  It's reminds me of the blue scheme I did on that mando a long time ago that I mentioned in the last few posts of my thread, although yours has much more depth with the layers of weathering.

You keep calling the extra pouches "spudapouches" are those some of the cast pouches I did way back?  I didn't remember sending you any. lol. shows what I keep up with!  Glad you are finding good use for them!

Keep it up man, I can't wait to see this thing finished.  You need to get some awesome action poses of this gal when she's finished to show off that articulation!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #621 on: January 17, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »
Looking amazing as usual.  I love this color scheme.  I love the blue on grey.  It's reminds me of the blue scheme I did on that mando a long time ago that I mentioned in the last few posts of my thread, although yours has much more depth with the layers of weathering.

You keep calling the extra pouches "spudapouches" are those some of the cast pouches I did way back?  I didn't remember sending you any. lol. shows what I keep up with!  Glad you are finding good use for them!

Keep it up man, I can't wait to see this thing finished.  You need to get some awesome action poses of this gal when she's finished to show off that articulation!
I agree on the action poses needed, Devon. Yes, those were your pouches from some time ago, ergo, spudapouches. You had also sent me a regular sized mando back plate which you must have hacked off of a figure which I still need to mold. i think it would go better with the male mando armor set I have going now, size wise.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:22 AM »
Sorry for the delay, folks, Tamer's AT-IP project needed some attention and there is always parts to work on around here.

I went ahead and re-cast another vizsla head so that I could cut some detail to her lower hair ends like the other painted head had and to reshape her hair for body clearance more easily.
Our goal here is to get this head to fit into this helmet.

Here is the new head after some carving to get it to fit inside.

and here is how she looks wearing the helmet. Not thinking, I glued the head in place. If I can't get it out, I may need to cast her another hollow helmet to serve as another accessory.

Now, at the same time, I am fitting the scarlett figure with her lower armor plates. This time, I was paying attention to getting the plates thinner and closer to her body. I did end up carving on the lower legs a bit where her boots  ruffle a bit around the ankle area. I also carved some material out of the way on her upper legs so that the plates could fit more tightly. I was worried about that one knife detail molded on the side of her one leg but after some carving away of the scabbard edge, it looks like we can keep it which is cool as i was wanting a knife on the vizsla figure but never found one for her. The strap detail on the leg plates was at a perfect height for the knife position and the corrisponding molded on strap that continues around that leg although the strap is of a different style. We will make it work.

Now, this figure didnt have the double jointed knees of the baroness figure so I just glued those knee plates onto the bottom of the upper leg right above the knee joint. They wont move as the knee travels so as long as she is standing up, the knee plate angle wont look too funny.

Now, back to the head. I resized the nubhole to fit the vizsla figure and it turned out to fit the scarlett neck nub as well. Funny how joe figures have more common neck nub sizes.
I am protective enough of the vizsla paintjob that I am using the scarlett body to hold the head while I paint on it.
Now these early paintwork images look a little rough but things will look better as I refine the paint job. You can see there on the left that I have made a cod piece for the scarlett figure but had some patching to do to it at the time that shot was taken. Her hair has the first thin coat of brown on it as well.

Looking at that last shot, I dont like how close the gunmetal color shade is to the medium grey. I want to mix up a lighter grey and kind of drybrush it onto the medium grey to lighten it up a bit.
It will look better as I progress.

Not yet, Shawn, let me get a little further along.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #623 on: January 24, 2013, 04:54:30 AM »
LOL. You know me too well. I will wait till you say its a go then. ()rr

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #624 on: January 25, 2013, 06:11:34 AM »
In the midst of this helmet painting, I had forgot to post that I believe that I have chose this to be ms vizsla's pistol of choice.  I shall have to weather it up some and alter her belt holster a bit to accept it. i put some more paint onto her helmet and hair and am feeling better about it now. I had gotten about halfway through painting it up and remembered that I was supposed to mount that cw visor that I had made for her, Oh well, we can always use it on the next one.

Here I can see the slightest bulge in the paintwork to her t-visor that I need to rectify

and after the paint dried, here are a couple of shots with the figure wearing the helmet. from some angles, she looks ok and from others, like this one, the helmet seems too bulky for her. she is pretty petite and that was to be expected. Perhaps with the addition of her cape, it wont be as easy to notice. I still havent finished the detail painting to her belt at this point.

from this slightly different angle, it looks better

Oh, since we found out that the neck nub is the same on the scarlett figure, I tried the vizsla head on it and thought it looked pretty good.
We will have to find another head for this one.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #625 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:51 AM »
Looking sharp Clint!

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #626 on: January 25, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »
Great stuff.  Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #627 on: January 25, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
Wow, looking good. Is it time yet?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #628 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
Thanks guys, I think she looks ok.
Oh, I guess you can go ahead, Shawn. I have some other stuff going on today and may not get to work on her anymore till the next time.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #629 on: January 25, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
OK, you guys are going to have to bear with me as I am doing several things at once now.
first off, I have finished crafting a cod piece for the scarlett figure but am not going to glue it on until I find a belt for her. that way, I can trim the top of the cod piece to fit with the belt.

Also, I picked up some acrylic florescent paint the other day and was itching to try it out so I grabbed a biker scout and slapped a resin storm commando head onto him and started painting him up making his visor flor green. We will see how this paint reacts to a black light later. I chose that head and body so I could post pics of the custom in a storm commando head auction that i have running right now to show the buyers how easy it would be for them to make their own storm commando using those heads.
  I have another project going with the flor paint and will post shots of it later.

Once again, folks, please bear with me, this storm commando figure should go quickly.