Author Topic: Clonehead's custom figures #2  (Read 111412 times)

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
Re: Clonehead's custom figures #2
« Reply #600 on: January 14, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
WOW! She is looking AMAZING!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #601 on: January 14, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »
That blue looks great to me.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #602 on: January 14, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »
Clint that color combo looks great!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #603 on: January 14, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
Clint that color combo looks great!
see, that is exactly the color combo that I had thought of when I was putting the primer coat on tamer's atic gun two weeks ago as the undergarments are the same green, but it didnt turn out as I had envisioned.  It's weird but fun to experience how you think a custom will turn out but how sometimes it takes its own course throughout its assembly. Keeps things fresh. You know, after roughing up the appearance of the paint on her armor like that and then detailing the gauntlets, I thought to myself "this looks like a Spry paintjob" which makes me pretty proud as you can paint, my friend.  That reminds me, I still need to try and humanize her flesh some.

thanks to everyone for your comments.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #604 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:23 AM »
Loving this build. Back on the front page.

Thanks for showing us your step by step with pics along the way Clint.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #605 on: January 15, 2013, 04:17:14 AM »
Thanks buddy. I have been working on her some more. I will try to show some progress pics later.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #606 on: January 15, 2013, 04:50:08 AM »
I agree and love the various shades of blue that makes her armor look like it has stood the test of time. With the addition of the blue her skin tone is interesting and looks like a humanoid rather than human. What ever you decide I know it will be amazing in the end.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #607 on: January 15, 2013, 07:06:32 AM »
I had thought that, Spry. I guess a mando doesnt have to be a human, neccessarily. Thanks again, buddy.
Here is a short update showing the next task I needed to get done before painting her legs up.
I wanted to continue that strap detail from the upper leg armor plates around the backside of the legs. I could have used typing paper strips for this but wanted a little more deffinition and have a hard time cutting the strips evenly anyway so, I grabbed some Evergreen Scale Models .015X.030 Styrene strips that I have had for a couple of years now and cut some lengths to glue to wrap around her legs and terminate where the resin straps stopped. The strips wern't wide enough to look similar so I doubled em up next to each other and cut em long knowing that when I got around to the other side, I could cut em to length.
Going 1 strip at a time, I start by putting a dab of superglue accelerator on the area to be glued where the resin strap stops and a dab of the glue on the end of a strip and hold it in place until it sets. Then the same thing for the second strip. Now, holding the strips next to each other, I wrapped around half way and with a dab of glue, held in place while accelerating the area with just the end of a knife wet with the stuff. Now, I am ready to wrap to the other side. I judge the length needed and make the cut and then do the glue and accelerator thing again until it stays and double these steps for the other leg. Where the transition looks iffy, I just blend new strap to resin strap together by carving and glueing until it looks right.

I may fab up some kind of strap to keep the bottom of her holster closer to her leg, western style although it might hinder that leg's movement a bit.

I will continue painting after this.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #608 on: January 15, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »
Love watching the progresision on this figure.  Can't express how cool it is that you are continuing to include step by step instructions with your posted figures.  I love your documentation.

Looking forward to seeing her all wrapped up!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #609 on: January 15, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
thanks, DD, I am looking forward to that as well. I always liked showing the step by step thing.
    I had forgot to mention that before applying those leg straps that I had filled the screw holes on the inner legs with resin and sculpted to match the inner legs.
Now, in this next shot, you can see that i have applied the green and blue paint to her legs and you might also see why i didnt like the blue at first as that was what it looked like when I applied it to her top armor before weathering it up with gunmetal and lighter blue washings, splotchings, and drybrushings and before I dulled it down with that varnish. I need to get a pic of that varnish bottle posted.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #610 on: January 15, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
She continues to look better and better every update!

Nice idea using the styrene strips, might have to look into that in the future (as I've just started to sculpt simple pouches/leg straps for the first time for my figs).

The comments you made about how you go about addressing facial features and the character's eyes when painting a head sculpt was helpful.  Thanks for the insights!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #611 on: January 15, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
She continues to look better and better every update!

Nice idea using the styrene strips, might have to look into that in the future (as I've just started to sculpt simple pouches/leg straps for the first time for my figs).

The comments you made about how you go about addressing facial features and the character's eyes when painting a head sculpt was helpful.  Thanks for the insights!
you are very welcome. Yeah, I used to slice strips out of typing paper or recipts to make straps but started using this stuff because it was quicker and because the width was more uniform.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #612 on: January 15, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »
ok, last update of the night.
I Still have some touchups to do for the green and possibly for the blue. That added spudapouch on her belt needs more weathering or color or something.
I did change the flesh tone to her face but its hard to tell in these shots. The light in my hobby room looks a lot more natural in the daytime.

I did find my camera but havent used it yet. Its macro function should clear these shots up some. Man, its been so long since I uploaded pics from a camera instead of the phone, I wonder if I can remember how.

We still have to do some painting and or weathering on her cape and we have the alternate head and helmet to do, plus, find a pistol. I am still considering a warhammer decal, possibly on one of her shoulder plates.

Here are a couple of shots with that unpainted cape.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #613 on: January 16, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »
looks stupendous Clint!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal