Author Topic: Screaming Samurai Studio Custom Stash.  (Read 27694 times)

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
Re: Custom Painted Vehicles by Screaming Samurai Studio
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »
D'oh!

Yeah, I think the flub occurred after reading I had a B-Wing on the bench and a Naboo fighter. But Nontheless, thanks for the kind words there, Luke.
  I don't have very many work in progress pictures but I do have a YouTube channel that I post my vlogs on the builds. I admit, I haven't been very active this last month or so, but trying to juggle a few projects tends to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/screamingsamurai

In fact it was through YouTube that I started to learn a little about The Imperial Shipyards....but I thought it was just the channel. I'm glad I discovered the site and can't wait to show off a little more here, and I actually have some old fan fic comic pages that I may share in the appropriate forum one of these days.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
...fan fic comic pages...

sounds great... I am curious  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Wow, these ships look great. I love the lights in the A-Wing. Expect to see your work featured on the front page soon.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »
that a-wing takes the cake.  As someone who has also used the christmas light LED's in the past I have to agree whole-heartedly that they are much brighter than standard LED's.  You just have to find the right parts to make them work...

you mentioned fiber optics in one of your posts, do you have any WIP shots that show the set up inside the vehicles for the electronics?  Im curious to see how you incorporated a battery housing, wiring, LED's, etc into the frame of the vehicle.

I've been wanting to get an AC-DC converter to use in my next customs so that I can plug my lighted vehicles into a wall-outlet and display them with the LED's on at all times instead of having to rely on batteries...

anyway, the lights are just a small part of the customs and your weathering and paint jobs are phenomenal.  Glad to be able to view your work and I hope to see more.  enjoy your time in the yards!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Welcome to the yards man. We always have room for another great customizer. Your weathering techniques and custom lights are very cool. Can't wait to see more.

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 10:19:30 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 09:16:03 AM »
Wow !  :o
Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 09:31:45 AM »
Welcome to the Shipyards, SS! These vehicles of yours look great. I love the heavy weathering on the a-wing and your use of leds brings it over the top. Yes, if you can manage, show us some more wip shots so we can experience your technique more first hand.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
Hey there,
  To answer a few questions on the A-Wing, I've just got these few shots for you to take a look at the inside.

Top view of the A-wing with the top removed. I removed the screws when I floated over the holes on the bottom, but the two halves hold together quite well. I left open for easy maintenance and I still haven't wired a switch into the bottom so I don't have to remove the batteries to turn it off. Again, I'm not expert and everything I learned i got off of youtube.
  One source of infinite knowledge has been ModelManTom on youtube. He and I have a similar background where we were both into faux finishes and a variety of mixed media knowledge. He also has a bunch of practical tips on finding some resources to make your models shine.
  Anway, back to it..Here's that topside shot

Here's a shot of one of the aluminum tubes I've used to funnel the light of the LED directly to the trimmed ends of the fibers. The first is the located at the front for the dash lights.

And for the back wall lights and the two lights at the tail end of the A-Wing..

And one more of the front end..this last LED lights up the radar and other panels on the dash I scratch built from a couple of sheets of styrene. I'm using LEDs from a dollar store string of battery operated Christmas Lights. $4 for a string of thirty lights isn't so bad, and they take a ton of the guess work out of the lighting of the fighter.

And a shot of the battery pack. There was a nice little slot for the pack at the back end of the A-Wing. I used a pack of three AAA batteries to light everything up and again, with the christmas lights..no guess work about resistors, and no soldering either.

That's it for this post, but I just found a bunch of the WIP progress pics from the canopy bucket.

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »
sweet
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »
Hey there,
   I have an assortment of pics that I took along the way as I worked on the A-Wing.

All primed up and ready to go..

And after a couple of hits with the sandpaper along the raised panels lines. I've learned to just get this step done with the dremel tool. With the tool, it can be done in a day as opposed to three days of heavy sanding by hand.

The next step was scribing the panel lines back in. On this first one, I went too heavy and too deep with the lines. But here it is after the scribing and soon after another coat of primer.

And the following are the progress of the canopy bucket. All done with a sheet of styrene and a couple of pieces of aluminum tubing.

Just after paint and already adding some of the scuffing and blaster marks.

NOTE: The colors I used in order:
  A Basecoat of Bright Silver spray paint, followed by a coat of Satin white and Orange spray paints..both by Krylon.

And this is essentially the finish line..minus the decals.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
Great step-by-step there, I love it!

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »
Wooow man your job is amazing man!

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
  Okay ..One more post for the weekend and then I'm done. Last night of vacation and I'm not quite ready to head back out to the grindstone, but I got another one closer to completion tonight.
  I already painted and weathered this one as the traditional yellow, but last week I thought it would be better suited with another color. I also had the cockpit in a state of incompletion for quite some time. This one was a bit of a problem painting, I hadn't tried to paint any of the soft plastic till this one, and it's tough. Basically. the paint never set up and stayed a tacky on the tips till it finally came off with the rub of a finger. I ended up switching my base coat to Krylon's Fusion Spray paint..since that makes a chemical bond with the plastic. you just have to be mindful to allow it enough time to cure before touching it since finger prints can end up in the plastic.
  Anyway, I still have to hook up the original electronics to see if those still work and I have one blue LED hooked up in the back to a watch battery for the cockpit lights. All that's really left to do is just hook up the electronics and then apply the weathering again to the blue..a couple of decals and this can go on the shelf.

A shot of the front end..A couple of flaws in the chrome finish became battle damage.

I wasn't able to get rid of the yellow plastic inside of the canopy so I may have to add some yellow accents here and there.

Anyway, that's it for now. Hope you all enjoy the next installment. Any questions you may have, I will do my best to answer them for you. Feel free to ask away and you can also catch some more of my works in progress on my Youtube channel.
   Once I figure out what I'm doing I'll have to make a banner for the forum.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »
Amazing wip shots and descriptions, SS! Thank you so much for those.

Man, that naboo starfighter is turning out nice. Looks like you will have another winner, there.