Author Topic: Clonehead's Train Set  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Clonehead's Train Set
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »
Since I am newly engaged and the fiance's Grandson is to be my own, my plan is to create a ho scale train layout that will melt his brain when he gets old enough.

I had been gathering track and detail goodies for a while now and finally got around to building the tables that this layout will reside on. "Since I started planning, this project has doubled in size"

I have been using bachmann e-z track and have a bachmann dcc controller with two dcc locomotives and one analog loco.
the dcc controller allows you to operate up to 9 dcc locos and one analog loco independently all at the same time. If by chance one wants to invest in a dcc ready switch for his track, this controller will operate those as well.

I used two 4'x8' sheets of luan lumber plywood approx 3/8 thick screwed and nailed to a framework of 2"x 2" boards that were screwed to 12 3' legs, braced to plumb with some 45 degree 2" x 2"s. The bottom of the legs were wrapped with 1" x 2" members that were screwed to the leg bottoms. I joined the bottom of the center legs with a pair of 1" x2" lengths as well. Under the bottom of one table, I made a little framework to support a slide out keyboard shelf that I had lying around for a place to hide the train controls and switch controls.

I topped the table with a 2" layer of foam over the plywood so that I can dig a creek bed or two into my layout.

I am still playing around with the track layout figuring out what configuration will work with the little town that I want to build and the businesses within it that require train freight service.

This will be a massive project and I could see it taking as long as a year to build. As many other projects as I have going on, I can't believe that I have taken on one of this size but I am excited to have kind of a different direction to move in to stir up the juices in my other creative efforts.

More updates will come as ideas appear.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Clonehead's Train Set
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »
Well congratulations on the engagement my friend. I was so happy to hear that.

And that is one rocking train set. Daggone, what boy wouldn't love to have that!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
Congrats on the engagement.  8)

Ahhh, trains!  I had a 4x8 layout ages ago and still have boxes of (ancient) HO-scale railroad gear and scenery of all sorts (new and old).  I never cared too much about making the trains actually RUN, I just wanted a really GREAT-looking layout!  Ever the model-builder, I suppose.

I'm toying with the idea of downsizing to N-scale - mainly because I want to use some Japanese prototype stuff that is only available in N-scale.  It wouldn't stay Japanese, since being a writer, I have other world-settings I want to play in.  ;)  Do keep us informed!  Terrain is terrain, regardless of scale.  And I think, too, most of us had a train set once or twice in our past...

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »
any good buildings in those old boxes, Doc? Houses or downtown type buildings?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
IIRC, it is largely businesses - and the cheaper kits at that.  One of these days, I should dig them out and take pics.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »
Congrats on the engagement, and your train set is looking awesome already!  I'm so far behind on mine still, and hope to spend part of my upcoming vacation to get the table completely finished, then start accumulating track.  How did you decide on your track layout?  That's been one of the biggest holdups for me so far.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Congrats on the engagement, and your train set is looking awesome already!  I'm so far behind on mine still, and hope to spend part of my upcoming vacation to get the table completely finished, then start accumulating track.  How did you decide on your track layout?  That's been one of the biggest holdups for me so far.
I'm still kind of troubleshooting with the layout a bit. I knew that I wanted a double oval for part of it and the close quarters double switches on each side that i aquired sealed that deal. I have a dual door train shed that I need to configure track for and want 2-3 dead end track sections with switches for car staging.
I browsed several train mags getting ideas for my track layout.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 05:01:03 AM »
I shot a quick video today showing some neon looking signs that I bought for the layout made my Miller Engineering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip61dHx-Mx0

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »
Now that is awesome! I LOVE and want that PBR sign!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
Yep, that one is my favorite.
I have a working mold now to cast, get this, ho scale porta-pottys for all of the ho scale enthusiasts who have scale job sites on their layouts.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 05:17:12 PM »
LOL. Clint those porta johns are awesome. I had a good laugh when I saw you had casted those up today. I bet they would sell like hotcakes.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »
LOL. Clint those porta johns are awesome. I had a good laugh when I saw you had casted those up today. I bet they would sell like hotcakes.
scroll up and check out that movie that I shot, buddy. YOU will like those animated signs.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »
Firstly mate congrats on the engagement and love the way this train layout is coming, looking forward to more pics.

Ron

Offline Havoc_Hobby

• Havoc
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
nice same thing im into but i have a "CN" lomotive insted of a santa-fe but your layout is much bigger then mine and (just makeing a shot in the dark) i bet it has "DCC"

p,s dont use a "DC" locomotive on a "DCC" track because the locomotive could well........ explode =/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:48:40 PM by flame Trooper »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
It is indeed a dcc equipped layout. Explode you say? I have been running two dcc and one dc engines at the same time on this set.
The track layout has changed from the time that I took these shots but time has been short and I haven't worked on it much.