Author Topic: Clonehead's non Star Wars customs  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's non Star Wars customs
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 10:37:58 PM »
Your right, Alex. Hasbro needs to bring out some more droid vehicles to fight them dirty clones! Wait......

I found a couple of shots of this tank posed next to one of my green dioramas and then a shot of some of my 1/35th scale ww2 german army figs posed on the same dio.

Offline clonetrooper360

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 08:56:09 AM »
nice , ive been looking for these tanks but i can only find the ones u build urself , dont know but i dont think they will be resistent enough
May the Force be with you !

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
nice , ive been looking for these tanks but i can only find the ones u build urself , dont know but i dont think they will be resistent enough
The scale of these tanks isn't even close to the scale of 3 3/4 figs, Alex. I'm just showing the stuff that I have done that isn't related to Star Wars, here. You can find die-cast pre-built versions though. And if you were to find any that were 1/24th scale, that might be close. I'm not sure about 1/18th scale.

Offline clonetrooper360

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »
i jsut want something the size of star wars figs , bit bigger dont mind

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »
Today, I took some shots of a Testors die-cast 1-24th scale 427 Cobra that I built several years ago. There wasnt much detail to this kit other than the opening doors and hood and the steerable front wheels. I added wheels and tires from another kit, added spark plug wires from the distributer to the motor, and throttle return springs and linkage to the two carbs along with a fuel line from the fuel pump to the fuel log. Other than that, I just painted on the interior and under the hood a little bit.

Offline clonetrooper360

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
awsome great detail on teh motor , i was thinking bout giving these details on the ship engines , maybe my old millenium falcon , im jsut scared to screw up is it possible to remove the paint ?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 08:46:22 PM »
Thanks, buddy.
It's possible to remove paint from plastic after it sets but keep in mind that sometimes the plastic might absorb some of the paints color. Try it on an old toy first, if you are nervous about it.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
Tonight, I took some pics of a model that I built some years ago.
  This is the Monogram 1/24th scale 1971 Plymoth? Hemi cuda.
I used rattle can testors spray paint for the models finish and sanded out the orange peel. There are some blemishes still present in the paint job.
  I added a fuel line to the carberator, added brake lines from the master cylindar to the front and rear brakes. I wired the battery and made a battery bracket, used tires and wheels from a 55 Chevy kit, used headers from a 39 chevy kit, added heater hoses, and I ran spark plug wires with boots.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:47:49 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
Doc, here is the kit that I was talking about that I have set aside for going on two years now in light of my Star Wars custom passion. This is the Italeri 1/35th scale Schwerer Panzerspahwagen (2cm) SdKfz 234/1 German heavy armoured car. I have gotten most of the work done to the body of the vehicle other than any added details and weathering. I still need to put together the turret and assemble and paint up some figures for him. And, of course, there is the obligitory diorama to build, as well. I have one started in an old picture frame that would work for this model, size wise which has barely been started, downstairs somewhere.

There, in the box, I found a forgotten package containing some Photo-etched nickle Barbed wire made by Verlinden.
  Now, that is some great stuff!!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 07:54:12 PM »
Awright!!  I *love* the Puma!!  The Luchs ("Lynx") I have sitting about is basically an 80's version of what you are holding right there!  20mm cannon and all.  I've got a pic I am going to turn into a dio once Trumpeter's modern German KSK or ISAF kits are available.  Or I could just use that box of Dragon's Modern German Paratroopers, with the G3's replaced with resin G36's...

Now tell me - what paint did you use?  I shot mine with a can of Model Master German Mustard ("Afrika Corps Yellow" iirc the correct name).  But at $5 a tiny can, that gets EXPENSIVE!!  (who is that in the back yelling, "Airbrush!  Airbrush!"?)  I shot the parts with one coat and *might* have enough in the can for touchups.  ouch.

Gotta love opening up a kit-box and discovering you'd stashed away some other goodies in with it!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 08:18:26 PM »
Yep, I'm sure that there are several kit boxes around here with extra aftermarket goodies stashed inside.
  I do have an airbrush but have only used it with enamels shooting car model paintjobs. I get alot less orange peel effect, that way. On this one as on all of my military models, I used my favorite flat acrylic paint, Floquil "used to be called polly s or polly scale" and brushed it on. To get a smooth surface, all that is required is the right consistancy and i'm sure that you know that the really flat part of the paint always settles to the bottom of the bottle. I was really big into painting up the figures but what you see in this thread is about all I have, now. As a youngling, I had a decent collection of built models and figures thrown out on me.

These military kits sure have gotten expensive, haven't they. They have gotten alot more popular, as well. I remember a time when there were only about 4-5 manufacturers of armor stuff like we enjoy.

I still have a decent stack of 70s military modler magazines that I will occasionally drool over.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Here are some updated sunshine lit shots of that WW2 diorama that I did many moons ago.
I forgot to get the pexiglass topper which fits over this thing. It resides downstairs with my unbuilt model car kit collection.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:41:03 PM by Clonehead »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »
wow you have some great dios there.

awesome. I'm a big fan of your WW2 dio

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 01:00:28 PM »
Thanks buddy. That's what I really used to be into besides Star Wars when I was young.

Offline Clone_General_1977

• Commander
  • "We're Airborne, We're Meant To Be Surrounded"
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 01:10:15 PM »
I remember those days Clint. When I was a kid, it was always either model Vietnam stuff, or GI Joes but now, I just do custom military and Star Wars things.