Author Topic: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a 289 Cobra  (Read 29660 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a 1/32 Corvette Stingray
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
Looks like you have things going well. Off to share your update.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 02:48:07 PM »
Test shots
Some light projects may require some fiddling
Looks like the light stream for the passenger side fog light needs some tweaking.
I’m hoping those rod pieces will glow brighter in the rear than the leds as can be seen at present

Get this one wrapped up and maybe I’ll try a Mad Max interceptor with a flashing dash Main Force Patrol light
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:53:30 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »
Bah, let’s take a brake from the stingray. It’s almost done.
Here is the scalextrec Ford XB Falcon Mad Max interceptor, the clean version, in 1/32 scale. A torso representing Max is inside along with the blue beacon light we are going to make flash.
     Unlike digital trains, no digital control units will work with other companies digital chips so, to make this analog car work with my digital system, I need to Install a carrera chip. This one is a special version that has a couple of channels for sequencing lights, like in a police car or a pace/safety car.
  The interceptor already has light boards with led chips and resistors for front and back. This analog car has them wired into track power but we will wire them instead into the chips front and rear channels. I also see plenty of room to light up the fog lights in the front valance as well.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:07 PM »
The factory DPR cover was removed. This gives access for their factory digital chip installation with a quick plug. I plopped the carrera chip over the hole lining up its screw hole with the cover screw hole and, it worked to mount the chip in the perfect position. Some extra ground clearance for the polarity switch and led light may be achieved by making and inserting a spacer above the chassis and below the chip.
So far so good

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 03:07:07 AM »
Wow, didn't know they had all those plugs. Didn't know different cars would need different chips to work either. Learning all kinds of neat things with this project. Off to share.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 05:32:24 AM »
Oh, the interceptors wiring looks complex because of the dpr plugand lights. Like analog locomotives, all analog slot cars are the same. Power is routed from the rails to the motor. The more power you give the rails, the faster the motor goes. Invert the power to reverse the direction of the train or to turn the slot car around to run the other direction.
    Now comes the digital age. Full power is applied to the rails and all sets are treated as one. The chip in the control unit tells the chip in the car how much power to give the motor, how to run the lights, when to switch lanes, speed and brake settings, ghost/pace/running with which controller programming.......
  When digital train sets came about, some years ago, the manufacturers banded together in an association and made all train digital control units and dcc locomotive and accessory chips work together.
   The major slot car manufacturers didn’t follow suit and made digital systems that won’t work together.
   All manufacturers make analog cars which are easy enough to convert. You just wire the chip in between track power and the motor while mounting the chip so the light will be in a good position shining down upon the track. Older analog cars are wired up straight and often times have a polarity switch wires in. Modern analog cars will have a way to access a dpr plug or, in the case of carrera, a polarity switch with plugs that will switch out with the digital chip using the same mount with a factory hole in place for the chip switch and light. Pretty easy to swap one of those out.
  The digital chip allows for running on an analog track if you wish, kind of like the dual mode train decoders”chips”

Got a couple of shots of our flashy light to show as I assemble some led lights to make it happen. Scalextrec left plenty of access to the bottom side of this cast blue dome  as if they intended for it to be lit from underneath
I did throw in a couple of shots I took of the dirty version when I was making one of the infield diorama pieces

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up A Scalextric Mad Max Interceptor
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »
 This will all look less complicated in a minute.
I cut apart the DPR plug and used the posts to mate the carrera chip to the track side and then the motor side for soldering.
I seperated the front and rear light boards and wired the fronts to one of the chips front outputs and used that plug to wire up the rears on the chips single rear channel. “Two channels for the front so the fronts can flash in sequence in certain situations “ I’ll use the second front channel for the fog lights

The scalextric DPR posts help hold things in place while I soldered 8 connections. I then moved the staged shrink tube pieces into position and shrunk them with my solder iron.
After some tucking, the chassis looks a lot cleaner and ready for the next step. She is ready to run now with lights if I would just put it together but there is more to do
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:00:27 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
Trying something different, I’m using these woodland scenics orange nano leds for the interceptors fog lights. Their compact design allows for some bright light in a tight space. In my palm, below the wires black part, that silver glint is one of the wires soldered to the back of the nano chip. Pretty tiny stuff. These like most leds need a resistor and this pair has a factory set way at the beginning of these long sets of wires. I don’t care to cut and splice or solder more so, I’m going to cram them in coiled. I’ll have to do that again for the flashing lights.
  I joined the two orange sets and made a jumper set to go back to the chip. Second shot lower right, I broke off the factory wires here and resoldered the jumpers with little mess and strong connections. Overall, my electronic work is getting neater especially with this car.
Last shot, light test before mounting to the chassis.

I think we are going to be in for a good looking light display from the front clip here.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 03:54:21 AM »
Wow Clint, small it looks microscopic, but daggone you get some nice light from that.

Off to share your update.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a Ford Falcon Mad Max Interceptor
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 05:59:27 AM »
After all that trouble, here comes the payoff.
   I had drilled some holes in the chassis in front of the headlight board to feed the orange nano leads down so they pointed/touched the back protruding spire of these clear pieces they mounted in the front fascia as fog lights. As bright as these nano lights are, I knew they would make these clear pieces glow brightly mounted in this way. Superglued in place, the top protruding wires were directed out of the way for the headlights and tucked into the frame.
With the fog lights working, I couldn’t wait to throw the body on and see how it looked.
   The blue flashing dome light on the dash comes next
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:03:06 AM by Clonehead »

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »
Impressive lighting on both the Stingray and the Interceptor, well done.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 03:50:05 AM »
Wow, that turned out great Clint. Back to the front page.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 06:57:57 AM »
Impressive lighting on both the Stingray and the Interceptor, well done.
thank you, rastanz, and to you , Shawn. I am a day ahead on you as I had worked into the night getting the flashing lights rigged. I was this close and had to see it done.
     I could have went fiber optic or lit from underneath to the spire protruding down, like the fog lights, but I wanted more intensity and thought that since the nano lights are so small, I could bore out the inside of the dome and install them directly. The hollowing was done with a pin vice or two. The nano chips were mounted to face each other inside the dome verses facing out. I got nervous about their brightness and turned them towards each other to try to tone it down some. “It’s like going from one extreme to another”
   I had a thought abought using some gloss coat inside the dome to try to tone down the inner abrasions that lighten the domes color from where I bored it out but skipped it as I hurried on. Maybe on the next one.
  The domes dash mount with holes for the wires drilled in place accepted the dome back with a touch of superglue to hold it fast. I cut a piece of larger diameter shrink tube and glued it into place around the wires and under the plate to clean up the look and possibly capture and hide light escaping from underneath
  Same deal, the blue nanos have resistors all the way on the other end so I coiled up the wires and stripped/soldered/shrinktubed my last of 16 connections on this project, not including any jumpers.
   I lubed up the entire chassis with slot car greases including the front and rear axles to help with any wire rubbing and stuffed it all back together with the occasional tuck or prod on a wire or two as the body fitted tight. This one is special enough I doubt I’ll run it much and that little of a clearance issue should be fine. The back gearing is clear and should be the real concern as the other stuff will clear enough.
  The sequence of the flash for the two lights is a rapid left and right flash followed by no flash from either and repeat. It happens so fast that you ca hardly discerne one flash from another. On a light bar on a police cruiser it would have more of a left right strobe effect.  This type of dome light would more accurately lit with a gyralight effect commonly found on the list of effects available to most digital train decoder chips.
    I wish these slot car chips would do half the stuff those dcc decoders do but, that’s part of what makes this hobby less complicated than that one and that is a good thing.
      The chip allows these light functions while being drove with a controller. Brake lights always work but the twilights come on with the headlights. Click once to turn on the lights. Click again to start the flashing light. Click again to turn off the lights but leave the flashing light on. And finally, one more click to turn it off.

For the pace car function: I place the car into pace car programming mode and drive to the desired speed and click to set it. The car them drives at that speed until it finds the pit area and pulls in and parks with its lights on but the flashing light off. At the push of the pace car button, the cars headlights start flashing back and forth”top to bottom on this model” while it moves to exit the pit lane. Upon exiting, the lights continue to flash and the flashing light then comes on as the car drives around the track at the speed I had set until I push the pace car button again where the flashing light extinguishes but the headlights flash as it drives to the pit lane and pulls in to park with solid headlights.
Pretty cool, huh? I can run 6 pace cars if I want. They usually pile up in the pit as they go to park.
    I like how the flashing light turned out. The brightness is just right and the camera doesn’t do it justice for a pic or a video. May have to figure out how to upload one of those.
I ended up shoving a spacer or two in between the chip and chassis to gain some more ground clearance. I need to see if the dpr cover can be modified to fit back into place to cover the rest of the chip. I’ve seen some wild wrecks on my slot car track. I’ve noticed on these 1/32 scale cars that the physics seem right as far as what the car does as it leaves the track when you try a 60 degree corner at a scale speed of 180mph.
Every different design of car behaves in a different way in how they handle just like real cars do. You can see it when they drive and when hey wreck. It’s refreshing

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 03:12:04 AM »
Looks great to me Clint.

Back to the front page.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »
Quick update, trying to get the loose slot car projects tidied up before more pile up I went for a quick one tonight.
  I had this evolution line 69 Ford Torino that I needed to add a chip to.
The older NASCAR racers like this didn’t run any lights and the other factory digital Torino’s don’t come equipped with lights”although the harnessing for those lights is still on the chips”
  Anyway, it’s an older evolution car with a chassis nearly the same as the superbird’s and needed holes for the lights and switch along with room on the inside frame for mounting of  the chip.
   Two sets of wires to solder up and I’ll be done shortly.