Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42653 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: Hunting
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »
It's the Remmington VTR, supposed to be the new tactical version,  Not sure what I think on it yet, the design makes sense, but I would like to see more filed reports first

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:30 AM »
So is it just tactical or is it in regular actions as well? I need to go do some reasearch on this bad boy.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2009, 04:43:55 AM »
It's avaliable in for everyone to purchase in a variety of calibers,  If memory serves me it stands for Varmit Tactial Rifle or something similar.  You know how they are add tactical to anything and some people think it's cool factor goes up.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2009, 06:39:38 AM »
It's avaliable in for everyone to purchase in a variety of calibers,  If memory serves me it stands for Varmit Tactial Rifle or something similar.  You know how they are add tactical to anything and some people think it's cool factor goes up.

No doubt that gives them the excuse to add a few hundred dollars to the price. I need to go research this one a bit to see if its any good.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »
Well, tomorrow has me leaving for deer camp for another rifle season. I am pretty well prepared this year and saw some great buck sign at my spot when I went in yesterday to rake a path to get there. It is a steep valley off a steep hillside and all along my left side it has been timbered and the growth is thick and I come out on a bench of open woods on the right side of it. Plus there is another steep hillside with plenty of viewing areas through the trees. I saw some huge rubs about 40 yards away from where I sit. I should stay home and hunt though. I have been getting calls by neighbors who want to hunt on me and today I decided I had better take a circuit to put up some no hunting posters. I saw good large buck sign on two different areas of the property so if camp doesn't pan out home just might. I found a good spot for a climbing or ladder stand for next year too New home construction is forcing the deer to follow just a few set paths so I aim to take advantage bow season next year.  Wait till you guys see teh shooting house I have planned! Heaven knows I deserve one with the hours I have put into the woods this year. I just haven't seen anything worthwhile to shoot.  I am letting the small bucks grow up. Guess my borderers won't but maybe a few of em will survive.  I also have my hunting buddy who is trying to get me to go up to our main camp which has 8000 plus acres, but I haven't done any scouting there and there are about 300 other members on that one.  I am gonna ask the hunt club director if I can bring a few friends one year. I may try to trade off redoing the hunt club website which is pretty awful. If I can I am gonna send out a few invites next year. Anyhow, I will be out of the net starting tomorrow afternoon after I see the Steelers take on KC. I won't be back till Sunday, except for a few hours on Thursday to eat turkey.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »
Well Good Luck Shawn, have a productive and safe hunt,   Our season started today and I am sitting another one out,  I just don't have the pland to hunt anymore and don't want to ask, so I will wait til I retire to something upnorth :)   I did see a few nice bucks this year on my way to work,, one actually made me stop my car and just watch it, that one was a trophy.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2009, 04:39:17 AM »
That one sounded nice Wayne. I like the sound of your retirement plans. On the largest buck story I have heard. Mom who lives in town said she was one "bigger than what I have on my wall"  eating grass with some does this past Thursday. She said it was the biggest buck she has ever seen and she has seen a few. LOL. Right in the middle of town, that dude is smart.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
Well I missed a decent one. I think. Well I know I missed, but I thought he was a small one and then I did the ole twenty power zoom on him and he looked bigger so I had two tags and was gonna ground check him, but he got into the brush and I tried to force a bad shot. Thank god I didn't wound him. I looked on the side of a daggone vertical drop hillside for two days just to make sure though. I am going back tomorrow, just came in to see how you guys were doing and get some of the funk from the hillside off of me.  It is beginning to look like I am jinxed this year. Oh yeah, my one hunting buddy is ticked off at me cause I am not up at our bigger camp hunting with him, my father in law is ticked I am not hunting with him, and my brother is upset I am not hunting at my house so he can come down and hunt. How did this stuff that is fun get so serious? LOL. It will all work out. I guess it is nice to be wanted so many places, but I just want to sit in the woods a bit. I had a fun evening with three deer practically running me over. The doe with the small buck I touched with the gun barrel. Guys, I am not making this up, she used her leg to push it away she was so intent on looking at her backtrail and then just walked away with the little buck looking right at me and not spooking. You guys ever hear of anything like that? I laughed all the way back to the truck. That is why I hunt! I let the little ones grow up.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »
They turn kind of mindless during the rut, don't they buddy. Good to hear you are enjoying yourself even if you havent dropped the big one.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
I kinda look at it like if it was meant to be it would have happened. I am going out here in a just a few minutes her closer to home. I have had a ton of people call to try and hunt on me this year so I know a few bigs ones are around if I can be in the right spot at the right time.  Around here hunting is like a tradition and people are looked at as odd if you don't go to the woods for a few days. I just like getting away from everything for a bit. There is always something new to see.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2009, 06:42:57 AM »
It's the Remmington VTR, supposed to be the new tactical version,  Not sure what I think on it yet, the design makes sense, but I would like to see more filed reports first

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_vtr.asp

We have several in store, and selling fast. The barrel is tuned and much more accurate. Calibers start from 223 rem up to 30-06 over here . i'm sure there may be more available choices over there....you need a catalog Shawn?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:03 AM »

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_vtr.asp

We have several in store, and selling fast. The barrel is tuned and much more accurate. Calibers start from 223 rem up to 30-06 over here . i'm sure there may be more available choices over there....you need a catalog Shawn?
sounds good to me, do they make this in 300 ultra mag? I might have to upgrade. I forgot to tell you I sent the xmas box, Clint is helping me out with sending your gift as my stores stink.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »
Well, this past weekend, I was on my very first hunting excursion!  I went to hunt wild turkeys with a buddy I know in Kentucky.  It's crossbow season for turkeys there, so it was not only my first experience hunting, it was my first experience with a 4-wheeler and crossbow as well!  I didn't get me one, as he failed to inform me that turkeys had great eyesight.  I knew they were deaf, so I tried to sneak closer to one to be sure I got it when I shot, but he saw me and got the hell out of dodge!  Oh well, it was fun none the less!  Now I'm wanting to do more of it!

Guess I should have gone deer hunting instead, as on the way home I passed a bunch of vehicles with 2-5 deer carcasses strapped into their trailers!  Hell, I even almost hit one because it decided to try and cross 4 lanes of expressway!  Oh well, maybe next year!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
Congratulation Pat on yoru first hunt,   I have to say I never heard of Turkey hunting with crossbows,  in WIsconsin crossbows are illegal with the exception of disabled hunters.

I miss the hunting season alot, since my parents divorse and the sale of our property up-north, it hasn't been the same.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2009, 06:37:17 AM »

sounds good to me, do they make this in 300 ultra mag? I might have to upgrade. I forgot to tell you I sent the xmas box, Clint is helping me out with sending your gift as my stores stink.

Didn't see it in 300 UM mate here but thats not to say over there may have it too....would be a lovely caliber....

your box is on its way. i was going to find figs for you as a gift but it sux here so i went for something different..... ;)