Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42626 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Hunting
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2009, 07:47:32 AM »
Well this thread is long overdue for an update and there is not much I can do to update it. I took Monday off of work to hunt the first day of Spring turkey season and didn't see nor hear a gobbler. It was actually too windy and too hot. I ended up going home eearly and me and the little gal hooked up a sprinkler and ran through it. Good thing I live in the middle of 70 acres or they would have thought a ghost was haunting.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
Well tomorrow I go up to hunting camp to try out the turkeys so I am getting kind of anxious. To top it all off this evening I wanted to get the mowing done quickly after work so I headed to the outbuilding and low and behold I heard a gobbler behind my house. I went running back to my house and grabbed my turkey vest and a mouth call. I worked him for just a couple calls to which he gobbled and then I went to mowing the grass. I usually just leave the birds here at home undisturbed for the most part. After I put my mowers away I looked down in my driveway and that ole gobbler's beard was a dragging and he was a strutting. When a gobbler puts his mind to it, he will stand just about anything to get that hen. I could have easily harvested him, but let him walk. I heard him faintly just a bit ago. I am taking Thursday and Friday off from work to go up to camp to hunt, but if this one sounds off again early tomorrow morning I may just get a bird in the hand so to speak. I am also anxious to get after one with that slate call Sarge sent me. I just hope it doesn't rain and the winds stays down. I hope to add some pics to this thread by the weekend.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
Go get that bird, Shawn. Get em!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2009, 04:51:28 AM »
Go get that bird, Shawn. Get em!!

I sure hope so. The weather is so nice  now, I hope I get two good weather days! I didn't hear that bird this morning at my house. Oh well, tomorrow I will be on 8,000 acres of prime hunting ground. Turkeys beware!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2009, 01:55:36 PM »
Well as they say, this was my weekend. I found the new ESB wave and the turkeys sure did cooperate too. My buddy, who is just an awesome caller, put us on birds both days. We had three good sets. The first set the bird veered toward the right and my buddy connected. He then worked hard to call one in for me. My stinking facemask has mesh over they eyeholes and as one walked to thirty yards I couldn't see it as the sun was in my eyes. Poor guy worked that bird for an hour and called in the hens with the gobbler to bring him on. Still the following day I reprieved myself by making a standing shot on this one. I had to shoot through a pine tree to get him and that was almost a mistake. We were high fiving and he got up and ran down through some pines. As I was shooting a single barrel encorce my buddy who had the pump pitched it to me as I was in mid stride and off I went crashing through the pine trees trying to cut him. As I was crashing through the limbs brushed my right eye and knocked my contact out. As I broke into a clearing I saw him running and even with my bad eye got ahead of him and put him down! The beard was a little over ten inches and just look at those hooks!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
Another nice score, buddy! They should call you ole one eyed dead eye.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »
Very nice indeed!....well done Shawn....

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2009, 05:15:01 AM »
thanks guys. It was a fun hunt. I was really frustrated with myself for not getting a shot at the bird my buddy called in on Thursday, but this one worked out. As I am replying to this, there is one with a longer beard down in my driveway. The season is out this coming Saturday so I might have to give him a try this week.

On another note, it had been awhile since I downloaded pics off my hunting camera so here is a shot of the six point my brother got in MD last year.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2009, 05:51:46 AM »
That's a nice one, also.
  Unlike youself, your brother has the look of an opener. :D See that twinkle in his eye? That's the same look I get just before I write a review and open up a MIB star wars toy. "chuckle"

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2009, 07:44:37 AM »
Really nice animals!  My connection was fouled up when you posted the tom pics, so I didn't see him.  Good story to go with it, too.  :)

I gotta wonder what yer bro used to take that deer.  I mean, its MD fer cryin out loud... I heard they outlawed pointy sticks up there!!  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
Western MD still allows all rifle calibers. My brother uses a 270, myself I usually pack a 300 ultramag or 7mm Rem Mag, whichever mood suits me. I have a few smaller calibers as well. I talked my wife into letting me buy a judge this weekend.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »
Western MD still allows all rifle calibers.

;D  Mebbe I was gettin MD confused...with Massachusetts... ;D

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2009, 05:38:40 AM »
Western MD still allows all rifle calibers. My brother uses a 270, myself I usually pack a 300 ultramag or 7mm Rem Mag, whichever mood suits me. I have a few smaller calibers as well. I talked my wife into letting me buy a judge this weekend.

Judge? do tell...... :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2009, 06:46:01 AM »
Taurus makes it, it is a revolver, but has elongated cylinders to let you shoot 410 shells and other calibers. It is kind of a point and shoot weapon.  My wife could even hit something with it.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »
Hunting, eh?

Well, I guess you do need more "masculine" hobbies to counter balance the toys, :)

My dad is the president of our state's wild turkey killing, err, hunting club.

So, what is the consensus on guys that leave out twinkies to shoot deer?  We hate them, right?  CHeapens the hunt, right?

Just need to be sure what kind of people I'm settling in with, ;)