Author Topic: Clonehead's world  (Read 56223 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Clonehead's world
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »
Man, I could go for about a dozen blue crabs right now! Sorry to hear it was a rough work day. Ofcourse you worked your butt off to only see your coworkers didnt.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Man, I could go for about a dozen blue crabs right now! Sorry to hear it was a rough work day. Ofcourse you worked your butt off to only see your coworkers didnt.
Well the one guy had the raccoon stew flu or something. He is an older ironworker who usally busts his butt with the best of them but likes to complain about it. I have never seen him this down and out before and he drinks everynight. I kind of felt sorry for him. Now, the carpenter foreman has always been the consamite sorry ass but since he recently had a divorce, he has gotten even worse.
  Sometimes, I miss working for a company that puts in Iron and nothing else. Sometimes it's less of a headache, that way.
We had whole lobsters and king crab legs............YUM!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
Well lets hope that they get over thier respective sicknesses.  I love me some King Crab legs too. I have never been much of a lobster fan, but crab legs I can eat.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »
Well, I worked at Chiefs stadium, today. We are upgrading all of the box seats and suits around the second level of the stadium. It was a long day of drilling, blowing out, and gluing dowels into existing concrete. Great view of the field, though. I will have to take a camera and snap some pics, next week.

On a darker, note, it is rumered that my union may go on strike, come the 1st of April, as our contract is to be renewed at that time and the fat cats in my union hall are going to ask for more wages and the international want to freeze our wages. In light of the current economic situation, I wouldn't mind a 1 yr freeze but I don't have a say in the matter. You can't go against what the hall says as they can keep you from working if they so wish.
  We get a new contract every 3 years and typically our contracts give us a raise once a year, on the check, in welfare and rec, and to our annuity. In fact, it changes so often, sometimes I forget how much I make per hour. The differance in between journeyman's wages and foreman's wages is a factor there, as well, as I make either one or the other depending on the situation.
  I will be better off than alot of the guys were we to go on strike but it would ruin some of my plans for the immediate future.

With the possible strike looming in about two weeks. I believe that the stadium job might change to 7-10hr days a week in an attempt to wrap the job up prior to the possible strike.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2009, 06:08:53 PM »
I hate to think of a strike in this economic situation we are in right now Clint. I hope they get things resolved for you before it comes to that guy.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »
I hate to think of a strike in this economic situation we are in right now Clint. I hope they get things resolved for you before it comes to that guy.
Me too, buddy. I don't want a strike. I just want to work.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »
I know you are pretty well locked into what your union does, if it is anything like mine.  A person has to have a wage they can live on. Its sad that firms just won't give their workers what they deserve.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
Its a tough time right now.  Can see where you would want to fight for better pay and benefits.  The time is real lousy for fights like this, I would just be glad to have a job.  It seems the big union bigwigs are just like the ones in Washington, out of touch with the people the represent.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
Its a tough time right now.  Can see where you would want to fight for better pay and benefits.  The time is real lousy for fights like this, I would just be glad to have a job.  It seems the big union bigwigs are just like the ones in Washington, out of touch with the people the represent.
The bigwigs in my union are just worried about their own retirements, I believe. The more we ask for money, the moregeneral contractors are going to look for cheaper non-union sub-contractors.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
Well, it might have been a portapotty rumor, but I heard that they might be asking us to take concessions to the tune of $12 an hour. $6 from our take home pay and $6 from our annuity and welfare and rec. Now, I was against the strike but those concessions would be taking us back 10 years and would make the world's most dangerous job not worth the pay, anymore.
  Count me in on the strike, boys.  It's not going to help the economy any If people like me can't afford to buy anything now, is it?

Oh, and yes, I did work 10 hours at Arrowhead stadium, today.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:57:25 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2009, 05:21:40 AM »
Well now that is a good reason to strike!

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »
That would be a hard pill to take Clint.  A $12 hit is pretty unreasonable.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »
I think it is very unreasonable for a risky job like yours and Clint's Chad.  Anyone who risks thier safety needs to be paid accordingly in my book.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
I got some good news today as my union signed a new contract. that means no strike!!
  They settled for $1.70 a year for the next 4 years split inbetween our take home pay, our annuity, and our welfare and rec.  That is slightly more than half of what we normally get. Its better than a freeze and certainly better than giving concessions. Now, we just need some work to start around here.

I am supposed to go down south with the wife, tomorrow, to celebrate the folks anniversary but as we are supposed to get up to a foot of snow, tonight and tomorrow. I don't know if we will make it.

If the weather doesn't snow me in, I will try to attend the KC planet Comicon, on Sunday.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2009, 04:05:38 AM »
I saw some reports of that Spring snowstorm you guys out west are getting. Hope you didn't put away the snow shovel yet. Man, I hope that stuff doesn't come our way! Hope it doesn't ruin your plans too much.Still, you gotta be relieved that there is a new contract signed. Glad to hear there will be no time on strike for Clonehead!