Author Topic: New Star Wars Purchases  (Read 384429 times)

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: New Star Wars Purchases
« Reply #690 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »
damn you yanks!  you taunt us!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #691 on: August 03, 2011, 05:51:15 AM »
damn you yanks!  you taunt us!

Jay, don't feel bad my stores haven't gotten in a single new thing. It is nice to see folks finding some new things though. I still don't feel like the long drought is over, kind of like this is a small rain to remind us of how things should be.

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #692 on: August 03, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »
Stopped by my local Target Monday (which has historically been run over by scalpers, or just never gets new product until months late, since it opened in the late 90's) for some other stuff and and noticed a toy isle reset going on, with a GIANT pallet full of Hasbro boxes.

Didn't pick up anything but I did chat it up with the two twenty-somethings stocking the toy isles and learned a great deal.

First, I learned that both of them collect as well. 
One collects DCUC and the other JLU.   
So that explains why those two lines never ever show up on the pegs at this store. 
Neither one of them even realized their store was being picked over by scalpers.
 They thought that the SW stuff was just not popular. 
I put in a quick area search in eBay on my phone to show them how many vintage collection auctions were going on in a 10 mile radius and a WOW face shot over them.

I gave them a quick physical description of the two problem guys and they were shocked that they were resellers. 
"Both those guys are here every Monday morning, and they race each other to the toy and electronics section. 
And they return tons of toys every week... Carts full of em... Now I know why sales are so low."

These guys weren't mean or putting me on, they were just clueless. 
Two customers have been sabotaging this store's sales for YEARS and the two kids in charge had no idea/couldn't be bothered to say something about 30+ of the same figure being returned with "$19.99" white price stickers affixed.
They were up on the switch-in-box problems but only the last few weeks as per an internal memo to the store.  But they couldn't figure out why figures had these white price stickers on them.

On a more positive note, the shelves were stocked with a bunch of Attack Shuttles, all the new deluxe sets, and the new Blu-Ray box sets.  Actually WAY too many of the blu ray sets.  These are nice starter sets but at $24.99 for 4 figures the savy new collector will find them cheaper somewhere else.

Zero new vintage, zero new TCW, and one new case of legends.  It looks like TRU and Kmart are the places to go for new TVC, as they charge too much per figure for resellers to make any profit.

Most of the new stuff was for Captain America, which blew these employees minds.  The Cap stuff they said "looks so bad" and they can barely keep in stock.  To me it looks great and is the same as the MU stuff.
The only stuff the guys said that isn't moving is the 4 pegs full of Dengars, cloud car pilots and green clones (which have all been there at least since Christmas!!) and the Transformers movie stuff.  They said there's an entire unopened pallet in the back of Transformers stuff and "it's just going to go over to TJ Maxx down the road like the last movie."

Not everyone's Target is awesome.  Mine it seems is picked over by both the employees AND scalpers.  :(

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #693 on: August 03, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
i went to target today and got the saga legends stormtrooper, spacetrooper, and deathstar trooper for $6.99 each. the stormtrooper is extremely rubbery and the joints are pretty loose, he also seems a little short (no pun intended) the vintage one is loads better. the other two are great figures.
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline wookielover1138

• The Kessel Run Review
  • Colonel
  • The First Lady of SW Collecting
    • Kessel Run Review
« Reply #694 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Just picked up TCW Defend Kamino Battlepack at Target and I highly recommend getting your hands on one! It has Echo, Fives, & ARC Commander Blitz who is by far the best clone I've ever seen with his detailed pauldron & kama, plus a poseable range finder 0/ Only complaint, Hasbro made a mistake on the back of the packaging and it says Fives is Echo and Echo is Fives...shame on you Hasbro bbfet Happy hunting everyone :)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #695 on: August 03, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
Sweet find Jenn. First I have heard of the error nice job!

Offline wookielover1138

• The Kessel Run Review
  • Colonel
    • Kessel Run Review
« Reply #696 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »
Thanks Shawn! When I first picked it up in Target I kept looking at the back thinking I thought Echo had the hand print and that I was wrong, so I showed it to Nate and he confirmed my suspicion :) I hadn't heard anything about a misprint either, but I'm still very happy with pack 0/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #697 on: August 03, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
My wife just left with the camera, but I just got in my GG McQuarrie Snowtrooper Mini-Bust. It came in beautiful shape and the bust just looks gorgeous! YipYipYipeeeeee!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #698 on: August 03, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
LOL!  So you got yours already, and mine's just had it's shipping label printed and not shipped yet.  I don't get that at all, but it's all good.  I believe my Nevill Longbottom bust is coming at the same time, which again begs the question: why can't they ship them together and save on shipping?

I was at a local Target yesterday, and saw that they had done a reset, but the only new items were the Republic Attack Shuttle and those lightsabers.

It doesn't surprise me that some of these employees are so clueless on things that happen in their own stores.  Most are just there for the paycheck and could care less about the actual store.  And personally, I have no issue with employees getting dibs on items before they hit the shelves, as long as it's for them and them only.  Should have some kind of perk, I guess.  The issue becomes when they save all that stock for others to scalp later down the road.

The problem with scalpers is going to be a never ending issue as long as there is a secondary market for things. 

Offline wookielover1138

• The Kessel Run Review
  • Colonel
    • Kessel Run Review
« Reply #699 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
I can't wait to see pics Shawn!!!

I agree Phatty, that's why we have to out smart them at their own game so the collector's can get the good merch 0/ Maybe I'll take my lightsaber with me on my next hunt, those scalpers can be deadly ;)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #700 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:01 PM »
Ah, I can see the headlines in the papers now... "3 In Coma After Lightsaber Assault."  Works for me!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #701 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:36 PM »
Frankly I sometimes think those employees are dumb right down to the bank if you get my drift.

Anyhow I found my old junk camera and took just two pics to show you I did get it. I will try to do it better justice tomorrow when I am less tired. It does look nice though. Sometimes I could kick Pat for getting me into them, but I could sometimes honestly see getting into this or Sideshow exclusively as the products are so nice. I think all collections should have one GG bust in em.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #702 on: August 03, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
I can't wait to see pics Shawn!!!

I agree Phatty, that's why we have to out smart them at their own game so the collector's can get the good merch 0/ Maybe I'll take my lightsaber with me on my next hunt, those scalpers can be deadly ;)
Only if its included in this weeks edition of KRR Jenn! ;)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #703 on: August 04, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
The Target I hit up last week had two of those Kamino sets.

I was thinking about loading up the Sprout (since it is Thursday, it's just me and the youngest until 10pm or so) and heading for another "local" Target (which conveniently has a TRU right down the street), but that's a 60+ mile drive into a college town... so I'm concerned it would all be for nothing.  But there's two WM's, and Books A  Million, and a Hobby Lobby that could make up for it.  But still me and a 6yo on a toy mission that will work out to an hour and a half driving each way...and she gets car-sick...

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #704 on: August 04, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
Scored the Rebel Ground Crew and Clone Blackout today at TRU...
it was pretty picked over and I was really surprised to find them.  Two more blackouts left and four empty pegs, wow.  Ground Crew was the last one, and it looks like the store got three cases of deluxe sets in.  Literally two whole pegs of just TVC Dengar.

I'll post some reviews later today

I have no problems with people at Target or anywhere else getting first dibs.  I worked at two different stores in college just so I could get first picks of POTF2's first years.  Later on I worked at a few different comic shops and it was the same deal.  That's the only "perk" these minimum wage jobs have.

It's when employees take bribes from people or hide things in the back that gets me crazy.   We used to have a "buy it now or put it out" clause at the comic shop for employees, which def helped keep the bin in the back office empty of rare goodies.

Talking to another collector yesterday about that Target, and we're both pretty sure they might be clueless about Star Wars, but they're most definitely scalping the DCUC.  He's seen those two guys selling stuff to our local flea market scalper, who since 1995 has always made sure to have the latest Star Wars, GiJoe, and Sideshow stuff with a 100%-200% markup.
And remarkably, because there's so many collectors in NJ, and so little supply, he manages to move it all every month, except a few POTJs in the dollar bin.   If only the people buying from him realized they could buy it at the TRU down the street at 1/3 the price if they stopped giving him money.  The worst I think was Christmas 2008 when he bought at least 10+ BMFs when they first hit and marked them all at $275.  You couldn't find one here until almost six months after Christmas.