Author Topic: Clonehead's dioramas  (Read 77404 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: Clonehead's dioramas
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2020, 04:38:56 PM »
This is aaaamaznig! Lots of planning goes into something of this scale and the a lot of experimenting going on to get it the way you want - I admire your persistence. The track looks great. I think it would fun to see a video of cars racing on it at some point.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2020, 06:45:42 PM »
Pics

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2020, 06:53:19 PM »
Still haven’t tried the video thing, starchaser. Going to have to mount the phone or something. Can’t figure out how to shoot myself and drive at the same time.
   You are right as far as planning goes. When there gets to be this many variables, it’s best to approach in sections. Less stuff to keep track of at one time that way.

Here are some shots of the backsides of some of those signs. Various versions of some of Miller’s microstructure bill boards and parts were used with tape and nails to secure to the track. I did prop up the bottom of one with foam down on the high curve end where the track elevation raises.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2020, 04:08:24 AM »
Looks like a real race car track to me. Such detail. Off to the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2020, 05:46:17 AM »
Shawn, thank you buddy but it gets better.
   Got a bit sidetracked last night and went to re do the lights inside the hairpin curve and broke out some of woodland scenic’s Just Plug LED goodies to put in there. 2 sets 3 lamps each of ho scale double bulb street lights and one o scale US flagpole, complete with string detail and a brass bulb top. That one came with a little 20Ma spotlight-warm white, to shine up on the flag.
    The street lamps came with the hard to feed linker plugs that connect to a power hub unit. The flag spot came with a larger newer designed linker Plug that was much more friendly to work with.
All the linker plugs have resistors where they plug into the hub so I don’t fry any of these. Tedious little wires! I wired all of these up in separate banks in a series, running through several lights to make one circuit instead of wiring them individually. Takes less juice that way, easier on the power source that way.     Also, if you run a big enough series, at least six of these 20Ma, you can go without a resistor without fear of frying them at the 9-12 volts my power source pushes.
      As I climb further back into the saddle on this thing, I remember the do’s and donts by trial and error sometimes.
     I fried the two red flashers on the high curve last night. It was a brain fart, I knew better, tried an alternate power source for those last night and forgot where the resisters were. A little snap is what I heard when they went. Gotta replace those now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:00:03 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2020, 06:03:54 AM »
Here is that flag and some shots with the lights off. Now I do have groundwork and a water feature to incorporate into this area so this array that I put together is kind of a mock up. Just wanted to see what it would look like lit up.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2020, 06:06:55 AM »
Thought Tamer would like the flag.

That long run of tall lights heading towards the high bank curve is next

Got six of em to wire up on that side

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2020, 02:42:13 PM »
Damn this is looking awesome mate and I love the fact that the cars have lights and that your adding lights to it, it just make it more realistic.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2020, 07:46:03 PM »
Thanks my friend
I’ll get back to the greenery scenery soon, Ron
I just have to get all these lights worked out.
Here are shots of this mornings work. Got the rest of that one parameter row of tall lights wired up. 6 lights, separate bank, I threw in a 4w resistor for safety’s sake.
Oh, I replaced those red flashers I fried yesterday, with a resister/flasher circuit this time.
Took a while to feed those wires through the little spire posts I have em mounted on. I’ll remember not to do that again, hopefully
I also replaced one broken streetlight on the first 60degree curve. “The rear end of the larger cars will drift over enough to clip it. We are talking 6 inches away! It’s hilarious When you take one out.
  Moved the coffee and shell sign over a space each. It was also in danger of getting clipped. Not sure if it’s safe now

Going up and around  the high banked curve next. Got 6 little and perhaps a big or two with the next bank.
  It’s like revamping to a longer better version of what we had so far.

I need to get that monster of a pit lane fence re worked as it’s going to pack a serious punch. The longer remaining infield, I want to ground cover first and then run lights through like before. I’m anxious to get started on that as well.
Much to do.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:52:04 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2020, 04:08:16 AM »
Oh yeah, I do like the flag. This just looks real to me Clint. I feel I am watching a scene out of Grand Tourismo or something. Good stuff. Off to the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
Not real enough, my friend. I’m going to keep going and hope I don’t run out.  Now understand, some elements I doubt I’ll employ. For example, my Pitt lane won’t have pit crews or equipment. Some areas that should probably contain barriers won’t, for the fun of it.
  Work reared it’s ugly head and I unloaded steel and built foundation pieces for a Quicktrip store an hour from the house. I hadn’t missed work much these last two weeks I’ve been off but it didn’t seem like I had gotten rusty.
  All day long, I thought about the track. I had did a bit of troubleshooting down there on the next bank of lights last night but didn’t get anything hooked up really.
   Ran a few laps with the favorite cheetah and the favorite large scale corvette last night. I’m still pleasantly surprised at how much more power the cars have all over the track since I added that set of jumpers. I thought it was fun before.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:20:30 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2020, 06:21:49 AM »
Got the high bank curve lit up again with the smaller HO scale street light poles. 2 banks of 6 this time
3 more long ones on the other side and perhaps a sign and I’ll move back to the middle again.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2020, 06:23:04 AM »
4 more shots

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
WOW Clint this is just awesome and the lighting really brings it all to life.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #344 on: February 02, 2020, 07:30:28 AM »
Man that is sweet Clint. So awesome. Off to the front pages.