Imperial Creative Engineering > Custom Questions

3D Printing to replace actual companies?

(1/4) > >>

Tamer:

I am sitting here this morning pondering the future of our hobby after seeing this grand creation that was 3D Printed by one Drew Johnson I found on Facebook yesterday.

Will the artwork turn from sculpting to just 3D designing and then printing? How are the AF and Collectible Compaines gonna keep up when there are such great artists like this that can just design and print what they want?

I can't even begin to imagine where copyright enfringement would come into this too. I don't see how they could ever stop it now. Would 3D Designers have to pay a license fee to design and print and sell their stuff? Crazy stuff going through my head this morning, but I would be lieing if I said I hadn't looked at 3D Printers this morning.

dax415:
Perhaps in the future there may be a time, but even with 3D printing as it is..... there are just some things not within the realm of being fully file and print.  I say this from someone who's watched the trend from a resin model hobby.  There are some shapes that are inherit to "flawed" printing or can be done by other materials and sculpting methods cheaper if one has access to it.  I think where as an industry we'll start to see infringement action is when the big boys feel they are missing out on $$$.  For me, I think a quality well done product that responsibly listens to customer base is still paramount.... when any company screws that up... you leave the door open to someone willing to step and fill those shoes.  By that logic, it's sorta how people can make their own soda..... people STILL try and go out and replicate coke or pepsi.  While sales are down in comparison to the past.... its not cause people learned to do their own.... its cause people's wants/needs changed.  In this case, i think health concerns and not wanting to ingest sugar in excessive amounts.  All of which doesn't alleviate a company's need to deliver a qualitative product in touch with customer wants and willingness to purchase said product.  Just my 2 cents....

MandoMuggle:

--- Quote from: dax415 on April 25, 2020, 10:40:23 AM ---Perhaps in the future there may be a time, but even with 3D printing as it is..... there are just some things not within the realm of being fully file and print.  I say this from someone who's watched the trend from a resin model hobby.  There are some shapes that are inherit to "flawed" printing or can be done by other materials and sculpting methods cheaper if one has access to it.  I think where as an industry we'll start to see infringement action is when the big boys feel they are missing out on $$$.  For me, I think a quality well done product that responsibly listens to customer base is still paramount.... when any company screws that up... you leave the door open to someone willing to step and fill those shoes.  By that logic, it's sorta how people can make their own soda..... people STILL try and go out and replicate coke or pepsi.  While sales are down in comparison to the past.... its not cause people learned to do their own.... its cause people's wants/needs changed.  In this case, i think health concerns and not wanting to ingest sugar in excessive amounts.  All of which doesn't alleviate a company's need to deliver a qualitative product in touch with customer wants and willingness to purchase said product.  Just my 2 cents....
--- End quote ---

Tis true! I have a 3d printer and There are parts that are just cheaper and more effective to sculpt by hand and or mold/cast.

Wish my current printer could make something at this size! I would have to print multiple small parts for this to work with my current printer

Aude:

--- Quote from: Tamer on April 25, 2020, 07:27:42 AM ---Will the artwork turn from sculpting to just 3D designing and then printing? How are the AF and Collectible Compaines gonna keep up when there are such great artists like this that can just design and print what they want?

--- End quote ---

Have you seen the completed full scale 3.75" Razor Crest created by Lee Burchell? That one is incredible. I think a lot of the sculpting/modeling has already gone to STL (esp inorganic pieces); I often feel as if I'm behind the curve. I've been seriously considering picking up a resin printer and learning 3D design for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The main factor holding me back from it is having to explain the odor the resin is said to have.

How will companies like Hasbro keep up? Why, by creating toys in every scale and style they can dream up directed at demographics that increasingly do not care about physical products, of course!;D Truly though, does it matter if the plan is already to offer maybe a handful of truly new figures yearly for TVC and maybe double that for TBS? If working with independent artists is the future of the hobby, I'm not opposed.

Tamer:
Wow, you guys have put out some great thoughts here. I am pondering. I will leave more comments after I let this digest and swirl around in the vortex I call my brain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version