Author Topic: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office  (Read 52374 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office
« Reply #405 on: September 09, 2012, 07:20:45 AM »
I made a new glasses mold last night, just demolded it and have the proofing cast setting up in it now.  Nothing new, I just have one of everything in a single mold to make casting it easier.  4 new molds in all - a production mold for glasses, the survival lamp from Hoth R2 (I think that's what it was packed in with), the training-remote from TVC Anakin, and the cantina table-top.

This is the third mold for the table-top and the third or fourth for the survival lamp.  I'm determined to get molds made that I don't have to fiddle with in order to get a quality cast.  I keep learning as I go and am determined.  I'll try to get pics taken and posted this afternoon, but it may end up taking a few days.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #406 on: September 09, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »
HAHA! Love that entry add Michael! I saw the clear part the droid is holding and wondered if it was a data pad or some Dengar Death Sticks, my prefered brand. Looking good and these colored parts are looking !ntergalactic Planitary!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #407 on: September 09, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
 ;D  Glad you liked that!  Yeah, I need to redo the datapad mold into a production mold that I can work with.

I pulled a cast from the training remote last night.  Exquisite!  Spooky, yer gonna love this one!  If you guys want to outfit a Jedi Temple padawan training room, let me know and you can have a horde of remotes in short order.

Okay, just pulled casts from the survival lamp - a little fiddly, but I can work with it - the production glasses - again, a little fiddly just like the other glasses molds (no big deal) - and the table-top.  Oh my frikkin SWEETNESS!!  Folks, we have a WINNER!!!  I think I finally got the right mold design in place.  Time to ramp up those cantina dios!!!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #408 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
I cannot wait to see them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Spookymufu

« Reply #409 on: September 09, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »
Whoot!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #410 on: September 14, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
Those of you who follow me on FB know that my grandmother, Mammaw, passed away in her sleep yesterday just about a month shy of her 90th birthday and her 70th anniversary.  I'd looked forward to Rebecca and I celebrating our 20th with Mammaw (we got married on their 50th anniversary), but I can understand her wanting to celebrate it with her husband instead.  She may not have understood why I made parts for toys, but she understood just fine the fact that I love what I do and what I make with my hands.  She had hoped to see me turn my casting hobby into a real business if that was what I wanted to do with it, and she loved to see the little bitty parts I could turn out.  I like to think she would have enjoyed seeing my first Mos Eisley building take shape, too.

So, I finally got started on my first Mos Eisley-style building.  You can follow its progress over in my Dioramas thread.  I'm coating the styrofoam with Elmer's Wood Glue, per Luke Sprywalker's suggestion.  That should give me a good base for coming back and painting it later.  My next building is going to be covered with drywall plaster, just to create a different texture and visual.  I've had several WIP shots taken as I put it together up to this point.  Again, those will be posted on my Dioramas thread.  So now, I need to go to town and get a lot more glue...   :o

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #411 on: September 14, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
My condolences Doc. Glad to see she supported your creativity. Looking forward to seeing more from you in the way of custom work too. You have come a long way in the number of years I have known you.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #412 on: September 14, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »
Very sorry to hear about this Doc. My condolences to you and your family.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
Thanks, guys. 

So I got asked at the last minute to help kinda chaperone a birthday party for a friend's son (I know - WHAT was she thinking???), so rather than give up an entire Saturday's casting, I took my stuffs with me so I could show her in person how this whole resin-casting thing works. (she's a jewelry-maker and we've discussed some joint-project feasibilities)  I got to show off resin-casting to a number of lads and parents, as well.  Since it was something of a demo-day, I figured I'd take my colorants and play with them as well.  Here's a quick pic of the goodies I made!

On the gray table, you can see the new Cmdr Wolffe buyce, sans rangefinder.  As Hasbro opted to make it non-movable, I had to trim it off in order to mold and cast the helmet, the very first pull of which can be seen to the left.  The "translucent green" colorant gives an interesting "creme de menthe" sort of color. (the Andes mint-style ammo can is the result of having a little green mix left, then a little uncolored white left! very "civvie travelling case" looking!)  In the right foreground, you can see two mismatched blue boxes.  One was a straight blue, one was blue with a touch of black added.  Rather nice variation in tone, I think.

All in all, quite a fun day - even if my friend did call me a nerd pretty much every time she looked at what I was doing!  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
Well I think it was an afternoon well spent. Tell you friend that nerds are where its at Doc!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
HAHAHAHA!!  She did say, "I mean that in the nicest way possible!"  lol

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
something breaks, I bet they call you first.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
Well, there *was* the "Can you take a look at his laptop?" question, but we never got around to it...  lmao

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #418 on: November 09, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
surveillance holo of tech carrying a new strongbox under development at PP3.  agents working to secure more information.

Spookymufu

« Reply #419 on: November 09, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
Man Doc, ypu have some great stuff. Did you ever get around to casting and painting a set of those binocs? Also, i dont remember if i told you but the binoc host said "thank you very much"