Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
The Avengers
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »
Coming out in 2012, The Avengers is a culmination of all the recent super hero movies the past few years.  You'll have Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Scarlett Johannsen as The Black Widow, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, and Lou Ferigno as the voice of The Hulk, taking on Tom Hiddleston as Loki, the central villain to the movie.  The rumors are that The Avengers are taking on Loki as he quests for the Cosmic Cube.  Further rumors are of an appearance of the Mad Titan, Thanos as HE quests for the Infinity Gauntlet, which was also seen in Odin's Hall of Weapons in the movie Thor, though that may be just a small cameo role to set up for The Avengers 2. 

We all know RDJ has done a great job as Iron Man, I have no doubt Chris Evans will be great as Captain America, and I thoroughly enjoyed Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston as Thor and Loki in Thor.  Scarlett Johannsen did great as Natasha Romanoff, aka the Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner had a decent role as Clint Barton, aka Hawkeye in Thor.  The wildcard here will be Mark Fuffalo as Bruce Banner.  I really enjoyed Ed Norton as Banner.  It will be cool having Ferigno as the voice of the Hulk though!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: The Avengers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
Pat I want Norton. I really liked him as the Hulk. Daggone it!

Still, I am so excited to see this movie. At least they got most of the actors right!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
Ok, who's hyped up for this movie??  I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for this.  I SERIOUSLY think that all the stops have been pulled out on this.  The cast can't possibly get any better, in my opinion.  Even the little bit I've seen with Mark Ruffalo playing Bruce Banner seems pretty sweet.  One of my Top 5 Hotties, Colbie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) is playing Agent Maria Hill and looks badass! 

Certain AMC Theaters around the country are holding an Avengers Movie marathon, beginning on May 3rd with Ironman, The Incredible Hulk, Ironman 2, Thor 3D, and Captain America 3D, ending with the midnight viewing of The Avengers in 3D.  All these movies, along with a pair of limited edition Avengers themed (Hulk, Ironman, Captain America, or Thor) 3D glasses, all for $40.  The nearest to me is in Indianapolis, so I may meet my little brother down there to check this out. 

For those who haven't kept up with them all, here are the trailers, along with the latest TV spots.  Hulk is rapidly becoming the Avenger I'm most excited to see in action, and you'll see why after watching these trailers.  Hawkeye was always a favorite of mine, and I think Jeremy Renner will do a great job at it.  And Scarlett Johannsen just keeps getting hotter and hotter to me, especially after seeing the last TV spot...

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

TV Spot 1:

TV Spot 2:

Black Widow Preview:
http://bcove.me/sus79tai

I haven't looked this forward to a movie coming out since The Phantom Menace (I know, but it was new Star Wars!), and May 4th can't get here quick enough.  Who else is jonsing for some Avengers Assemble Action??

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
The amazing thing is this is the movie how I wanted it, the three mains introed in thier own films and culminating in Avengers, never thought I would see it come about this way. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
Yeah, they definitely did it right, in my opinion.   Also, if anyone out there has not watched any of the featurettes with Agent Colson, you REALLY need to.  He's a little badass in his own right!

Rumor is, The Justice League is going to try to do the same, starting with the next Batman, transitioning into the upcoming Superman and Green Lantern 2.  No word on anything about The Flash and Wonder Woman yet, but time will tell, I guess.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »
man, the Hulk is just a badass!

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »
Yeah, they definitely did it right, in my opinion.   Also, if anyone out there has not watched any of the featurettes with Agent Colson, you REALLY need to.  He's a little badass in his own right!

Rumor is, The Justice League is going to try to do the same, starting with the next Batman, transitioning into the upcoming Superman and Green Lantern 2.  No word on anything about The Flash and Wonder Woman yet, but time will tell, I guess.

I thought I had read something on Flash being in this, but looking around I can't find it so maybe I was imaning it, but I could have swore that was the case. 

Stiill there is controversy on this idea, Nolen's Bat's will not fit IMO but at the same time Bats is so popular he needs no intro, even though that would seem weird, However I bet Bale has nothing to do with it either way.  Supes could easily transition in since a threat to supes could move into JLA without too much whiplash (just as thor did for Avengers).  The others would need intros I think, at least Flash, WW (even though people know her, she has been stagnant in media since the 1970's), GL ect.  GL mibht end up being like Hulk was for this, who knows. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
Clint, that's my thought exactly!  I'm very curious on how they plan to "keep him under control," and get him to fight FOR them instead of AGAINST them.  Either way, right now he's my favorite character in this, and the way Tony talks about him is priceless!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
Pat, I remember a timeline some years ago when John byrne was penciling for The Hulk comic where Dr Banner, while trying to find a cure, had rendered his hulk form to have the intellect and speech of Dr Banner. Everything was cool for about half a year until the Hulks persona digressed and then all hell broke loose.

My guess is that The Hulk will be a bit smarter this time and possibly somewhat in control of his rage but if he lost it and the rest of the team had to intervene, that would be cool also.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
Here is one of the latest TV spots, called "Hulk Smash."  Oh. My. God; May 4th can NOT get here soon enough!!!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
Ok, so who's seen it?  What do you think?  Complaints?  Comments?  Questions?  Please no spoilers if we can help it...

I loved every minute of it.  I had zero complaints, I thought they did a wonderful job of bringing in a decade of material together into one movie.  The explanation as to how Thor arrived on Earth was sufficient for me, because otherwise it would have taken away from the rest of the movie, in my opinion.  The Hulk, is by far, my favorite character in the movie!  He even got a line, which was hilarious!  True comic fans may start to pull at the thread of how the Hulk was kept "under control" as I call it, but they can all go spin!  I thought it worked perfectly, and was thrilled with it.  Speaking of the Hulk, I thought they did a great job of NOT making him look like a cartoon, so that was a plus.  I was tempted to go again today, but ticket prices doubled by that time, so I'll wait and go again Monday or Tuesday morning.  Or both.  Probably both.  SO good!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »
Saw it yesterday with a bunch of friends. It was one of those classic quality movie nights, with trailers of GI Joe and Prometheus (damn, THAT is going to rock) and then the main event. I too loved every second of it. Whedon and his team did a great job at bringing all this superhero goodness together. Not only does it have a lot of highly entertaining action sequences, it's funny as hell too! RDJ is extremely witty and definitely the right guy to play Stark/IM. But yeah, Hulk was equally impressive and not without a sense of humour too. At one time I said to my buddy "it'd be cool if Hulk would give Thor a high five." If you've seen the movie you know which scene I mean and what happens :D

I rate it a big 8 out of 10. The 3D wasn't disturbing like in other 3D movies I've seen, but there were quite a few scenes that were specifically made for it (like when A is talking to B, where the POV is from A's shoulder).

9GAG already has a lot of hilarious pics about this movie, some of which really cranked me up. Also found this one, which is definitely a to-do thing for me :D

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
I wanted to do the marathon so bad, but the only theaters running it close enough to me were both 2 hours away.  I have all but the Avengers, of course, so I still may run my own marathon one day soon!  And yes, the scene you are talking about is by far one of my favorite, right behind the one where Hulk and Loki interact!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
I am still in awe of the movie spectacle that was The Avengers that I watched this weekend. I figured the noon showing would be tame enough in my neck of the woods, but it too was packed with no empty seats. It met all my expectations and then some. I kept wishing for Edward Norton as the Hulk, but can't say anything bad about the actor they cast this time though. And trust me the Green Guy is perhaps the best character after Iron Man. Robert Downey Jr. is just the epitome of Tony Stark to me. His quirky sense of humor at the most inoppurtune moments just blew me away. I won't give anything away, but its a must see in my opinion. I haven't felt that about a movie in some time.

I am torn from my favorite scene from the Green Guy High Five with Thor to the Green Guy response to how to treat a God. My wife actually gasped at his response. It was absolutely hilarious. I must say Loki was cast well too. It was all good folks. All of it.

I saw that Helicarrier come up out of the water and almost teared up it was so cool. Folks if you haven't seen it you don't know what you are missing.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »
Yeah, it was absolutely great!  I'm going again tomorrow and am just as excited to go then as I was on Friday!  The Hulk is for sure my favorite of them all, and I did enjoy Hawkeye at the end.  RDJ is Tony Stark, if there ever was a real life incarnation.  I enjoyed Ruffalo quite a bit, and while Norton was a good banner, I think it was a pretty good transition.