Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Harry Potter
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »
Ok, so I hadn't seen one of these movies before.  I really had no desire to watch any of them.  For whatever reason, there was nothing appealing to me at all concerning this little Universe.  However, my 8 year old Godson is REALLY into Harry Potter.  More and more hype surrounds the movie.  The previews for the latest one, "The Deathly Hallows" looks pretty good.  So I thought, since I have Netfilx, why not check one out?  I ordered Sorcerer's Stone and watched it and really liked it.  Then came Chamber of Secrets, and I was mad that I didn't have the next one in the series to watch immediately.  I have to admit, these are some REALLY good movies!  I love the plot, story, characters, visuals, and really everything about it all.  So I went out last night to look for them on Blu-Ray for a good price.  The best I had found was a boxed set of the first 6 movies on Blu-Ray for $85, which is a little more than $14 per movie.  I held off on buying that last night, but this morning I found the same set, brand new, at BluFLIX.com for $47.99 and snatched it up.  They had a sale on 2-Day shipping for only $6.99 so I got them all shipped for $54.98, about $9.17 per movie.  I can't wait to start a Harry Potter marathon at my place this week when they arrive!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:43:31 AM »
Yes Pat these movies are great. Jaxon is way into Harry Potter as well.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »
the movies are good  but the books are waaaay better :)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »
I read all of the books and really enjoyed them. I have followed the movies closely with every release. While I enjoyed the first 4 movies more than the rest, this latest one was very good. Like the books, as the series progresses, a darker feel to the whole story becomes more evident.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »
I can safely say, I am obsessed with Harry Potter currently.  I just finished watching The Half-Blood Prince, and am going out today to do something I never thought I'd do: Go see a movie all by myself.  I'm going to see Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 today at 11:55 because the only other person I would be able to go with is my mother-in-law, and I'm not real keen on doing that, so I'm going alone. 

I do have 2 major complaints about the whole series that bothers me.  1, some sequences seem to be cut too short.  Something happens, and they never touch on it again or update on what's happened after those events.  For example, what ever happened to Cho Chan?  After Order of the Phoenix, she's not seen or mentioned again.  There are many, many more examples of that, and it bothers me, but oh well.  The other is how Harry is so against asking for help when he needs it.  I think he has bigger trust issues than even I have, and that's saying something!  All too often, a greater result would occur if he were to go to Hermione, Ron, Dumbledore, or many of the other instructors.  I know that the books/movies are written with children in mind, and have to accomplish its target goals, but I can't help but feel the story could be richer if he had occasionally asked for help.  Oh well, like I said, I love this series, way more than I ever thought I would, and am eagerly looking forward to 2 hours and 25 minutes from now!

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
Even us older folks get hooked by this one. It is a pretty great little series. Awards won and books sold mean nothing if you dont like it.
I got the first 3 books for my birthday years ago and was instantly stuck.
I even read parts aloud to my kids when they were very little, before the movies came out.
Now my son is mad he hasnt seen the new one yet.
There are a few things I didnt see coming in the series.
I liked how the books were written for children, and progressed as the characters aged.
And we could always get later books about his middleaged adventures too.
It could happen, she could need the money just like GL.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »
I did see Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 today.  Funny, there were 7 of us in the theater, and not one of us came with another.  OH well.  In any case, I have to say, it was definitely half a movie.  I know it was meant for that, and the long wait until July 15th is going to suck, sort of.  I'm really enjoying this entire saga, but I do believe I've discovered (I always knew, really) why the movies seemed to be a bit short in some areas; I need to read the books.

See, I had two theories that I was pretty sure of going into this movie.  And while they weren't answered in this movie, I couldn't help but allow my curiosity to overtake me.  I ventured to the Harry Potter wiki and looked up a couple of characters and read the gist of how it all ends, and I was correct on both of those points, though that brought out another element I had not thought of.  SO, I did kind of spoil the end for me, but at the same time, while reading about Severus Snape specifically, I realized how much of the story isn't told in the movies.

So, I guess it's time to get the books from my mother in law and start reading.  I have a lot to catch up on!

Offline beast from the east

• Lieutenant
  • I am Merman
    • My websites
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
I wasn't so keen on watching these movies. So I had a movie date at my place so she picked up Harry and Philoipher stone and another movie.She was 20 and I thought oh god I will fall asleep watching this as I was a little bit older than she.I was surpriced at it. It kept my attention and liked the ending.
  Since that time I had to watch all the others as soon as they came out. My boys mostly the youngest one likes them and we watch marathons at least once a month. I didn't read the books or read any spoilers but the series is coming together as a whole. Key characters are dieing and I like that aspect of it.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is coming out July 15th.  For as much as I've grown to really enjoy the HP movies, I'm super excited to see the finale of the saga, though I'll be sad that it'll be all over, as well.  8 movies over 10 years is definitely something, that's for sure.  Anyone else excited for this?

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Well, I just got back from watching the final chapter in the enormous franchise that was Harry Potter.  I thought this was due to be the longest movie of the 8, but in fact it was the shortest.  That being said, I don't think they left anything hanging out there, so it definitely wasn't rushed or even drawn out at all.  I thought the pace was quick with action, addressing the final threads hanging out there from the last one, and all ending very well.  Be ready to give a round of applause to the unsung hero of Hogwarts in this one.  I won't spoil anything for anyone, but the unlikely hero not only saved the day, but also had a speech that sent shivers down my back it was so good!  I am sad to see the whole thing come to an end, because it was such a fun, and thrilling ride.  My only regret was waiting 10 years to begin getting into it!

I can't WAIT until this comes out on Blu-Ray so I can run a 2-day Harry Potter marathon at my house, in stunning hi-def and surround sound!

Farewell, Harry Potter; it's been one Hell of a ride!

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
I remember watching the first one when I was quite young...  Man, that was a LONG time ago.  As for seeing Part 2 of the 7th one, I know the theaters in my area get REALLY crowded, so, I think I'll wait another week or two before doing so. 
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
My g/f has read all of the books and has been trying to get me to read them as well. To no avail  ;D We both did see the movies up until the fourth or fifth one and kind of lost interest since then or didn't find the time to watch them. I think we'll rewatch the first ones again, one a week or something, and catch up with parts 6 and 7.

I just can't get into the Potter verse though. It all feels a bit too childish for me. The same goes for Narnia. LOTR was cool, though. But what all of these movies are lacking are.....  lvva  ;D

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
I did like the books better than the last 4 movies. As you went along, the books grew more dark and adult feeling, kind  of like the atmosphere of the story and characters did.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »
I'm not that much of a book reader anymore. In high school my English reading list contained One Flew and Mosquito Coast, which I rented on vhs :p

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
I definitely agree with Clint, the movies progress in maturity and darkness as they go along.  They did a great job of keeping you in Harry's mindset as he got older, from feeling like a 10 year old boy during the first one, to a 17 year old "adult" battling for life or death at the last one.  Definitely worth watching them all!