Author Topic: Mass Effect  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Mass Effect
« on: December 12, 2008, 08:15:37 AM »
This game flew under my radar for a long time, and was I missing out.  I picked this up about a month ago and was blown away, I wasn't expecting much but this is similar to KOTOR in terms of interactions and play on various worlds. The basic premise for those who have not played it is, you are a human who as a race is relativly new to the galactic playground, through alien technology we gained space travel and in the past few hundred years have joined other races in the galactic community. Your role is a military man tasked with becoming the firts human spector (intergalactic FBI/CIA type) and tracking down anotehr while completeing many side quests in the process. Will you be good, evil or inbetween. Many weapons and skills can be developed and various team members can be added and swapped. All in all this was a superb game that was unexpected, if you can find this used for 20 bucks, it's a must try.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:18:30 PM by Reconsgt »

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Mass Effect
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
I'll have to keep an eye out for it.  It sounds like my kind of a game!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »
I have been hinting for an Xbox this Xmas. If I get one perhaps I will find this one.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
Wayne, I gotta thank you for turning me on to this game.  I just finished it for the first time, and it was a lot of fun.  Much like KOTOR though, it ended too rapidly.  I've started it a second time so that I can make sure to finish all of the quests, and play it a bit differerntly this time around.  They are working on a Mass Effect 2, taking place about 5 years later with Commander Shepard "Killed in Action."   I can't wait for that one now!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:48 AM »
I so need a gaming system. Cmon big tv, then watch out.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:02 PM »
Pat,

If you follow just the main line it can end fast, do all the sub quests and find all the hidden items, then it can get long and fun,  there is also a downloadable mission add on on xbox live

I really did enjoy this one and played throught it 3 times or so.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
I played though it once, but then discovered fallout.

Fallout and oblivion, about 200 hours between them.

mass effeect is fun in that you can adjust the difficulty on the fly.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »
I played though it once, but then discovered fallout.

Fallout and oblivion, about 200 hours between them.

mass effeect is fun in that you can adjust the difficulty on the fly.
Same here. I played through Mass Effect twice, then started playing Oblivion and Fallout 3. I've probably put 150-200 hours into each of those games. (I know, I have no life.)

Mass Effect was amazing though! I loved the plot and the setting. I can't wait until the second game comes out, it looks good so far.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
I have Mass Effect 2 on preorder, and really wish I had my saved game from the first Mass Effect on my Xbox, but my old one I played the first one on got the red rings of death, so I have a new one now.  The new Mass Effect would use your choices and character from the first one in the second one, and it will continue through to the 3rd one.  I am VERY excited about this one!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
That's cool news,  I will be getting this one for sure, the first was a great game.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »
I just ordered mine through our Affiliate, GameStop and had it shipped to a store near me so I can go pick it up when it is released!  You can order it too by clicking this link!

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
Mass Effect 2
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
Mass Effect 2 was released today.  Here is the launch triler, if any of you haven't seen it yet.

It looks amazing! I've seen some gameplay videos and it looks fantastic! You can also use your character from Mass Effect 1 in this game, or start a brand new one. I don't have money to buy this right now, but it's definitley the first thing I'm going to buy once I do get some money. I know there's a thread for Mass Effect 1, but I didn't see one for Mass Effect 2.

Did any members here buy this game today? If you did, I'd love to hear what you think of the game.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
I picked up my preordered copy tonight on my way to class and haven't had the chance to play it yet.  I'm so excited to get started with it though!  I DO, however, wish that I still had my game saved from my old Xbox 360 from the first Mass Effect to let it roll over into this new game, but I lost it when it crashed.  Plus, I don't want to spend the time re-playing to get caught up, I just want to dive into this new one!  The game trailers and TV spots look SO freaking awesome!

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »
Awesome Phatty! That sucks that your Hard Drive crashed.... I hate the damn errors that the 360 had when it came out. I got mine in 2006 for Christmas, and got the E-74 error in January of 2009..... Isn't it convenient that my warranty expired in December of 2008? LOL

I'm playing Mass Effect 1 right now, I'm going through most of the story first, then I'm going to do side missions. I'm sure I'll have the whole game completed again by the time I get Mass Effect 2

Have fun playing it man, tell me what you think of it. I'm really forward to getting it.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
I got started in this game today.  There is a LOT of set up and exploration time before you get underway on your first missions.  I find the screen harder to read than the first game, but it's set up the same, so it's not like I have to relearn from scratch.  Some familiar faces are back from the get-go, and you even re-team with a couple of them.  One cool thing is you can customize your armor, from shades, to materials, to colors, to trim.  I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow so I could play it some more!