Author Topic: krylon fusion Questions  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
krylon fusion Questions
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:34:26 PM »
 i'm going to be doing some  walker custom and would like to know if the krylon fusion pant will bond to the softer plastics on the new AT-ST (the side turrets and such). Any imput would be Greatly appreciated

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: krylon fusion Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
I'm not totally sure about the newer softer plastics.  I have used it on vintage items and POTF2 items and have had no problem with it at all.  in fact, that's all I use for a base coat of things.

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
thanks for the input, i guess ill try it out on some scrap and see how it fares

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »
I think the krylon "fusion" is a load of bull crap and a gimic.  I've had no luck with it "bonding" to plastics.  I've used it in the past when I was building spud guns and it chipped and scratched just as bad as normal spray paint...   however, I would go with normal krylon over cheaper brands for customs.  I jsut wouldn't pay the extra for the "fusion" crap.   

although... it might bond better to the rubbery soft plastic than regular spray paint.  I realy don't know about that.  as small as the parts are though, I would just spray them with some basic primer and hand paint them if I were doing it.

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
I've been doing research on krylon and from what i've read, customizers lean toward his opinion.  given the size of the item you are painting --a finer mist, nozzle, paint pigment would sound like a better way to go.  I'd probably recommend you use paint designed for the popular plastic miniature games like warhammer 40k.  I don't know what is in Games Workshop primer or Primer produced by the Armory, but its really good stuff to use on plastic IMO.  Vallejo paint is a expensive paint targeted at minis cause it has a finer pigment and better pigment ratio than alot of other hobby paints.  GW paint and Tamiya paint works pretty good, heard japanese paint Mr Color is very well liked as well.  Keep in mind the Tamiya and Mr Color were recommended for airbrush usage.  Hope this helps

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:33:27 AM »
IME, the Fusion line *seems* to work better on plastics.  Interestingly, the *best* primer I've run across has been Krylon's ultra-flat camo colors - in spray-cans, at least.