Author Topic: Weathering techniques  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Swamp Fox

• Cadet
Weathering techniques
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »
I would like to hear how you guys use different weathering techniques.  Consider it a tutorial, the more details the better for us newbies.  Thanks
Ken

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: Weathering techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:14:15 PM »
Hangerbay94 put together a great 2 part video on his superb weathering techiques,  give this a view, and we will also post some of our own tips and tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hangarbay94#p/u/9/hcbKnmpxwB8

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:42:13 PM »
Basic drybrushing is the most simple technique.

basically what you will need to do is use a bushy type brush.  Pick your color, usually flat colors work best, flat black, dark greys, brown, etc... 

dip just the tip of your brush in the paint and use a piece of paper to brush off the paint, don't brush off paint in the same place every time as you need to see the ammount of paint coming off the brush.  As you start to see the brush marks thinning out and becoming faint this is the butter point for drybrushing

Dry brushing is called this because your using the bare minimum of paint on the brush.  Once you get this point lightly sweep the tip of the brush across your piece (figure, vehicle etc), the places the paint will stick will be any raised surfaces or corners.  If you do it right you'll get a very dirty weathered look to whatever your working on.

Offline Swamp Fox

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »

Thanks Spudafett & RECON.  I apreciate your input.  I will have to experiment a little.  I take it for worn metal you dry brush a little silver?  For dirt, mud use shades of brown, little black for shadows?  Thanks
Ken

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 02:09:36 PM »
I do dry brush,  I tend to use colors such as steel, aluminum, and gun metal alot for the scraped metal,   dirt, it varies as to the terrain I am trying to mimic,  If I plan ahead I will base coat an item in the color I want to show through, then paint over and use some steel wool to wear in spots, It all is dependant on the final look,
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:53:11 PM by Reconsgt »

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »
You can also basecoat in the desired wear-thru color (normally a metallic) and then rub a candle along the high-wear spots - mainly edges of stuff - before you do the main painting.  Once that's dry, you come back with tape and use it to remove the wax, allowing the metallic to show thru.  With my luck, it'd work as well as the rubber cement.   ::)   8)

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
hi

I often use drybrushing. It is very easy to make and looks very good on figures.

I made a small YouTube vid, i hope it will help:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:29:07 AM by FialaFernbrugg »

Offline Swamp Fox

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 09:49:10 PM »
You can also basecoat in the desired wear-thru color (normally a metallic) and then rub a candle along the high-wear spots - mainly edges of stuff - before you do the main painting.  Once that's dry, you come back with tape and use it to remove the wax, allowing the metallic to show thru.  With my luck, it'd work as well as the rubber cement.   ::)   8)

Good advise so far, I also like RECON's steel wool suggestion.