Author Topic: Imperialshipyards.net 5th Birthday Celebration Contest!  (Read 44247 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Imperialshipyards.net 5th Birthday Celebration Contest!
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2012, 11:15:42 PM »
here are my entries.

A team of comic inspired fem-fatales...

I was going to do a team of all cat inspired characters but couldn't come up with a fourth one and doing research for this group I came across "Shanna the She Devil" and I loved the concept and artwork.  

so here is the group:  
Tigra; part woman, part cat with mystical powers bestowed upon her by a race of cat people.... at one time was a member of the avengers
Black Cat;  part time cat burglar, part time mercenary, most of the time working on her own, but sometimes working for good...  typically is involved in spiderman storylines
Catwoman;  the odd-ball DC comic character thrown in for a mix,  catwoman is a mystery... working on her own agenda but occasionally for the greater good.
and Shanna;  with an afinity for animals Shanna took to the jungle to get away from human civilization and fights for the greater good of the earth, but finds comfort with people who think themselves more like animals than people....

you know what... no matter what back story I spin there's no real reason all these characters are together other than they are comic book inspired, hot, female characters... and who doesn't like scantly clad comic book characters!?

so here's the group:
(This is also my contest entry photo)

My favorite of them all looks to be the simplest figure, but was far from it:
Shanna the She Devil:

for reference:  

Shanna is constructed from a marvel universe black widow.  I used aves apoxie sculpt to "enhance" her breasts to make her more resemble the comic book renditions.  The elbow articulation was fixed in this figure because I wanted her to be able to hold her accessories.  I hate that there is no decent articulation in the elbows of these female marvel figure bodies...   There are two things I am really proud of on this figure, the paint job, and the feet...  The paint job could only have been achieved with a spray gun attachment for acrylic model paints.  It gave me that nice even coating that I'd never have gotten with a brush...  and the feet, her feet are actually a gi-joe ninja's sandled feet trimmed and sculpted to look like bare feet.  they aren't perfect, but I'm happy with them.

the second most difficult as far as labor went was probably black cat.  

and reference:

So I started this figure after my sculpy was starting to harden (I think my sculpy is going bad because it hardened ALOT quicker than it should have).  So unfortunately the sculpting on her breasts wasn't as refined and as smooth as I wanted...  Thankfully you can't really tell unless your staring down her cleavage... :/  
Again, this figure is using a marvel universe figure as a base however I did not fix the elbows with this figure (I wish I had and might go back and do that because posing the figure was troublesome without that elbow articulation).  The head is agent helix with the hair from a DC universe starfire dremmeled out and added to helix's head.  The fuzz on the forearms and ankles is actually from cotton balls.  I ran a bead of hot glue in the spots I wanted the "fur" and then pressed a cotton ball into it, pulling it away created strands of fur stuck to the hot glue.  Worked better than I expected!   Finally the heels are from a gi-joe baroness figure.

Next up we have catwoman.

(there's so many different styles for catwoman I kind of just made up my own, so no reference)
so I got my hands on a few Avengers black widow figures... and I like them, but they have their flaws... one being no mid-torso joint... but that didn't stop me from using it for this figure.  I liked the black jump suit and it just works for catwoman.  I didn't alter the body for this figure at all, just did a quick re-paint (and you can probably tell).  The purple doesn't stand out that strongly in person, the flash brings it out way too much.   What I did do with this figure is used a marvel universe black widow head, removed the hair, and sculpted on the cat-ear mask.  the goggles are seperate however and can be removed.  Add a custom whip to the ensamble and you've got catwoman.

and last but not least, Tigra

and reference:

Tigra was the least laborious, except for paint...   Again, marvel universe female body.  I primed with grey primer, then painted orange.  simple.  Stripes were the pain, but a fine tipped brush and a steady hand did the trick.   The tail was fun.  I actually used a length of solder wire which is flexible yet strong enough to hold paint, drilled a hole and used a tiny bit of hot glue to secure it.   Her head is a 25th aniversary scarlett with a marvel universe figure's hair (I can't remember who's that is).

Visually I think Tigra and Shanna are my favorites.  They just turned out way better than I expected.  well, I hope everyone here likes them and they are good enough to be a part of this competition...  I'm still a little rusty with some things but this was a great kick in the butt to get me back on my workbench, and a much needed distraction from the stresses of life I've been under this week.   Regardless of the outcome of the contest I've had a blast working on these figures.  I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:15:41 PM by spudafett »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2012, 06:03:09 AM »
spudafett that is some out standing work !!! I like them alot .... All the best  Art

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2012, 06:20:40 AM »
ok back again . i have to say all the entries in this contest are just awesome. I am  just about finished tf squad 1138 yes i know the name probably could have been better but it works for me right now, i made some slight  modifications to the three previous figures shown and will post them soon . here is the fourth one .  I have a few ideas for this one that i am playing around with. I  think i will have them  done by this weekend and i will have the group shot . I'm sure this one is easy to figure out  enjoy  All the best .......... Art

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
These are sweet! Hot to! Love the 1138 squad comeing along beast!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
Dang that was fast Spuda! The females look awesome man! Nice job on their skin tones/paint aps.

Very cool MrJedi! Can't wait to see your group assembled.

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
Wow! Sexy Babes! Well for action figures! LOL!
Ok, Ive finished my Team, now with 4 members! LOL! ;)
I present the Stormtrooper Emergency Medic Team:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:54:16 PM by ShamanLogRay »

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
Nice!  I really like the stormtrooper medics and the medical droid.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
my four are still evolving ...
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »
my four are still evolving ...

I'm really loving your entry so far!  Can't wait to see what else you do to them.

Offline JLaban4

• Commodore
  • The only good lizard, is a dead lizard.
    • Follow this link to see my customs and other videos
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »
What are the prizes????

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »
What are the prizes????

Patience youg one. I am working on it as I am writing this. And remember, being part of a custom contest is enjoying your custom project, not necassarily which prize you win. ;)

UPDATE: Current prize list has been posted on the very first post where the contest rules were announced. We would like to thank our Site Sponsors for their generous donations for our Birthday.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:36:46 AM by Tamer »

Offline PackRatStudios

• Ensign
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
PackRatStudios is in!  Working on a team as we speak!  Might have more than 4 in it though!  Might have more than 8 in it as well!  :)  Oh well, will have to pic the best four eh? 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:08:55 PM by PackRatStudios »

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
Ive been busy with the Milliput again! LOL!
I present another team.....An Imperial Stormtrooper Field General and his personal Guard!
Enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:12:03 PM by ShamanLogRay »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
WOW! loving all of the entries so far... My team are coming along fingers crossed I'll have them ready by close of play...

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
Wait?  Are we allowed multiple entries?