Author Topic: One HUGE error in Episode 1  (Read 3270 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
One HUGE error in Episode 1
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
While watching Episode 1 in the cinema yesterday I noticed a HUGE error in the story and was wondering if anyone else had spotted it...

When Anakin is introduced to the Jedi Council the following remarks are made:

"The chosen one will bring balance to the force"

"The Sith have not been seen or heard of for over a Millennia"  

So, if the Sith have been extinct, then only the Jedi have been in existence (good guys), therefore if the chosen One is supposed to bring balance to the Force doesn't that mean that he will bring back the Sith (bad guys). Ying and Yang?

Also they mentioned that Anakin was too old to begin his training... that meant that the Jedi are taking kids younger than 6 away from their parents! That is seriously wrong! I don't care how many midiclorieds my kids have, I wouldn't let some Jedi take them away when they are only babies! what parent would?

I know that this is sci-fi / fantasy but there should be consistency and a level of common sense. At least with OT you know where you are, I can even cope with the Ewoks (though Storm-troopers being knocked out with stones was a bit far)...

I am still a fan but Oh how I wish Lucas would have released a sequel rather than a prequel...  

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:34:45 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: One HUGE error in Episode 1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
Amen Jules. I would have much rather had sequels too. This whole prequel thing he started irritates me sometimes. Still, I guess some folks like the prequels better than the originals. Think its cause were old? :D

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »
And wise! ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:19 AM »
Believe the millennia line is uttered by Ki-Adi Mundi. I think they had that on the ComTech chips. Anyway, I don't know about the exact dates between the republic and old republic and whether or not there had been any contact with the Sith/Dark siders, but certainly before Episode 1 there had been, if the EU novels/comics can be used as source material.

I think the balance they may be referring to, is not directly the rise of the sith, but perhaps the evening of the numbers of Jedi and Sith. Because of Anakin's training and the events that ensue because of it the Jedi also eventually become an order of 2. Obi-Wan and Luke--master and padawan, and The Emperor and Vader. Later Yoda and Luke, but it's 2 on 2 eventually because of Anakin. Interesting thoughts, who knows who's right. Besides that would imply there was a prophecy about "the chosen one" which seems hokey even for Jedi. They're supposed to be selfless servants of good, yet they're putting the fate of the galaxy into the hands of one whiny brat? How could he NOT mess up lol.

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Spookymufu

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »
I wouldnt have minded the Prequels half as much if they had actually looked and felt like prequels to the OT instead of a future of the OT, if the PT had been dirtier and gritty and not as streamlined I would have felt it was SW past. I hate that Lucas tried to combine the look of the 50's (American Graffiti?) with the PT and the bad jokes and one liners. Oh and dont get me started on the bad acting....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:26:15 AM by Spookymufu UnitedStatesRepublican »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »
LOL. Spooky you wouldn't be referring to Hayden Christensen and the whole AOTC I love you scene and lines are you? I do agree, horrible.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
Spooky, I had to laugh at your comment as you put into words what many a Star Wars fan probably feels but would never dare utter.

I kind of feel sorry for Lucas, as he has been trying... I just wish he'd pass the torch to someone talented who could really do something amazing with the story and make the kind of film we all crave for!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:00:03 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
In regards to the first comment, Jules, I don't get why the Jedi can take the children away when they're that young, train them in the Jedi ways, and then when they get older, give them a choice as to whether they want to leave or not.  It seems fixed so that the Jedi will stay, because they don't know who or where their family is, the Jedi life is all they've ever known, and even if they left regardless of that, it's as if they'd have no purpose, anymore. 

Like you said, it's just odd that the Republic condones kidnapping of all things, simply because these men for millenia have provided protection and served as their army.  It's reminiscent to a degree of Nazi practices during the waning years of World War II, when they drafted young teens, and the parents were often so entwined with Nazi policy, they dared not say anything to the contrary because of fear or general support.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »
I find it odd that a SW Author has not shed light on this whole Jedi Training Program. Wouldn't Bardan Jusik make a good person to follow through all of this? Perhaps a trilogy of his life before, slightly after hooking up with Papa Kal, and then going into his future with our favorite RCs?

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »
HOORAY...someone has finally said what i've been thinking for years.  I agree with you all here.  When my 3 year old daughter is being a pain and getting into everything i call her Jar Jar  ;D, yes that awful character still annoys the hell out me after all this time.  Lucas should have gone forward not back....a New Jedi Order type of thing would have been awesome.
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »
I find it odd that a SW Author has not shed light on this whole Jedi Training Program. Wouldn't Bardan Jusik make a good person to follow through all of this? Perhaps a trilogy of his life before, slightly after hooking up with Papa Kal, and then going into his future with our favorite RCs?

Lucas pretty much deleted all that with the clone wars version of the mandos. Lucas is an epic fail anymore and Filoni isnt much better imho.

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:07:53 AM »
Well, just because the Jedi are wise, doesn't mean they know everything.

To them, the prophecy could have indicated that the "one who will bring balance to the Force," would actually do away with the Dark Side completely.  Remember, in Episode III, Yoda even says out loud that "misinterpreted, the prophecy may have been."
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
While watching Episode 1 in the cinema yesterday I noticed a HUGE error in the story and was wondering if anyone else had spotted it...

When Anakin is introduced to the Jedi Council the following remarks are made:

"The chosen one will bring balance to the force"

"The Sith have not been seen or heard of for over a Millennia"  

So, if the Sith have been extinct, then only the Jedi have been in existence (good guys), therefore if the chosen One is supposed to bring balance to the Force doesn't that mean that he will bring back the Sith (bad guys). Ying and Yang?

Also they mentioned that Anakin was too old to begin his training... that meant that the Jedi are taking kids younger than 6 away from their parents! That is seriously wrong! I don't care how many midiclorieds my kids have, I wouldn't let some Jedi take them away when they are only babies! what parent would?

I know that this is sci-fi / fantasy but there should be consistency and a level of common sense. At least with OT you know where you are, I can even cope with the Ewoks (though Storm-troopers being knocked out with stones was a bit far)...

I am still a fan but Oh how I wish Lucas would have released a sequel rather than a prequel...  

That was my biggest critism of Ep 1 right there, on both counts.  Me and some friends were making jokes about that balance line and how it looks like Ani really did by wiping out the Jedi, and even more that we learned about the Jedi the more convinced I was of it, they stole kids into a life of servitue and alienation without ever considering the choices for them, THIS was not the Jedi I had envisioned when I saw Star Wars in 1977. 

Attachemnts lead to the darkside-feh, isolation does too (makes you insecure which leads to anger and you know the rest). 

Honestly I ignore most of the prequel stuff just for this reason alone, I only refernce it in jokes from time to time ;-).

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.