Author Topic: Tales From The Clone Wars - VOLUME TWO - COMING SOON  (Read 14537 times)

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
Re: Tales From The Clone Wars
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
Hey good to see you over here, I missed this thread my last few visits somehow.  Anyway glad to see everyone is enjoying your work (I told you they would).  Keep it coming.   

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
Just had a look at the latest chapter. I love the style and the fact that you use a lot of images to portray the story rather than loads of text. Some of the images are absolutely awesome, don't know how you do it!

I am hooked and am looking forward to more.

Jules

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »
zedhatch; I'm indebted to you for showing me this place; the encouragement (and opportunity to see other great webcomics and photo-novels!) has been fantastic.

hangarbay94; Thanks alot! That's high praise indeed from the person behind the XWA comic!

Everyone; The next issue is going to be dedicated to wrapping up the Battle of Alderaan arc (at least for now!), and so I'm currently mapping out the following arc (The Anakin and the Covenant sub-plots will continue for at least a few more issues - there's a lot to be revealed there yet!), but I was wondering if there were any specific elements of the Star Wars universe that you folks would like to see most?

For example, do you want some political intrigue in the Senate? Or getting tertiary factions like the Hutts or the Mandalorians involved? Or perhaps an entire arc dedicated to original characters? Etc. Any/all ideas are welcome!

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
zedhatch; I'm indebted to you for showing me this place; the encouragement (and opportunity to see other great webcomics and photo-novels!) has been fantastic.

No problem, I knew the fans on this site would love it.  I'm all about getting people's work to the people who might enjoy it.  Too often in the interwebs world we try soo hard to get our names out and its tough when people ignore or worse critisize unfairly quality work (for those who don't know what we are talking about, short story is this was not appreciated on another site and I pm'ed him to come here). 

Anyway, Like I said I knew where some people might like this and wanted to ensure they did (if you hadn't of come I probably would have posted it myself eventually).

Keep it coming, we are all enjoying it. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »
I am quite sad to hear that quality like this was actually "criticized" on another SW fan site? Surely not. If so, I am glad you came here because one thing we know here is customs of any genre including graphic and fan fiction work (as I hope you are seeing by our forums) and yours indeed is simply a great addition. 

Zed, thank you for forwarding customizers like this to our place.  And I do agree, keep it coming. 

Still shaking my head that someone could find something to criticize in this.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
i'm just happy for to take this in any direction you want as i am thoroughly enjoying it my friend
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:41:20 AM by wraithnine »
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 05:56:37 AM »
Tamer, while I don't want to get into a site to site type thing, it wasn't an SW site, it was a webcomics site, and the critisim was only because it was Star Wars which I said was stupid, but is all beside the point, but I just wanted to clarify that statement. 

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »
Yeah, as zedhatch said it was a site less catered towards tributes/homages/fan-fics etc. Ah well!

An update; Issue Four - due in part to the scale of the story (expect to see lots of clones and droids fighting in the streets of Alderaan's capital!), and the fact that I'm moving into a new flat this weekend - will probably take a little longer than the 7-to-10 day schedule I've kept up so far. It'll be done as soon as possible though :)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 09:08:13 AM »
Well I am sad to hear this from any WebSite and ofcourse wouldn't get into the particulars anyway. We just need to focus on the good work.

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 11:15:33 PM »
Phew! After a week of moving into a new flat, enrolling for another year at university (and all the mandatory celebrations that go with it ;) ) and real-life obstacles, I've managed to complete Issue Four - Grievous Ascending!

Hope you enjoy it! I think it's my favourite one to have worked on yet.

www.starwarscomic.webs.com

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
Kualan,

Thanks for posting this here, your comic is one of the best I've seen. The writing is very well paced and easy to follow and some of the images are just epic. I am thoroughly enjoying this.

Please can we have a bit of an insight into how you put this together, I am intrigued.

I will be putting this on the Front page very shortly, you really deserve the attention.

Jules

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »
Thanks Jules, I'd be happy to give a brief rundown of the process:

1. The first thing I do is fire up Photoshop, starting with a single panel (usually 300 x 250, but varying depending on what is required):

2. The next step is to take a screenshot for the background; 90% of the time these come from Raven Software's "Star Wars: Jedi Academy" video game, but other games, films or images may be used depending on what is needed. Once the right background is found, it is applied to the panel:

3. I then minimise Photoshop in favour of another piece of software called 'ModView'. This is a handy tool that allows me to view and pose certain types of 3D models, in this case ones primarily designed to work with the aforementioned 'Academy' game:

4. I open up the chosen model - in this case  one of Jango Fett:

5. Using certain animation files, I'm able to pose the Fett model into whatever position I require - for example, aiming a blaster pistol:

6. Thanks to a feature in ModView that allows me to select a single-colour background (similar to how green- and blue-screen work in films) I am able to Print-Screen, Copy, and Paste the image of Fett onto Photoshop, and then remove everything but the model itself using the Magic Wand tool. The now background-less image of Fett can be composited onto the panel:

7. This process is repeated for however many people/droids/vehicles appear in the panel (though for the example I'll stick with just Fett), and then the whole thing is transferred to a new template - the comic page:

8. Once all the panels on a page have been finished, standard Photoshop techniques can then be used to add speech bubbles, lasers and any other special effects needed:

9. With all the models position, panels completed, and special effects added, you have one full comic page ready to be published!

It's a lengthy process, but I hope you guys find this useful!

- Kualan

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »
WOW!! I love that piece of software, the applications for web-comics are almost endless, you certainly have found a great use for the software. I also love the use of backdrops...the whole process is very ingenious.

Once again, I really appreciate you posting this here, you have done a marvellous job.

One request that also might help your readers here is to post the pages here as well as link to your comic as some people may miss your post. To increase the image size here on the Yards I split my pages in half using photoshop and re-size them to 750pixels width, so that each page is in two halves. I don't know why but the images become larger.

Keep up the great work!

Jules

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Jules, I'll use that for the next issue.

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »
Issue 5 - Desperate Measures - is now uploaded on the site here: http://starwarscomic.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=10063247

I'll edit/resize the pages for posting on the forum tomorrow.