Author Topic: What Star Wars retail looks like in Florida these days  (Read 3148 times)

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
What Star Wars retail looks like in Florida these days
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »

Every Wal-Mart/Target I've visited in a 60 mile radius is pretty much the same. The only place I can find anything is at GameStop, but then only Black Series. And at $24.99 a figure (before taxes), that's a no-go for me.

Occasionally local comic book stores might carry some, but they either are yellowed or too high of a price to justify a purchase ($25 per figure? No thanks!) Or higher, depending on packaging??? Nope!

This is just sad.

I see this problem for the following:

1.) Physical media is down, toys aren't "popular" anymore.
2.) The brand is damaged (after TLJ). I would say a large chunk of fans are disenfranchised. Apathy is the name of the game...
3.) Que times for Star Wars Battlefront is super long at times (even though this is supposedly where people frequent Star Wars "media").
4.) See issue #2.

All of this leads to having to rely on e-bay scalpers...who charge a 200-500% price hike on a lot of items/figures/ships.

Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:46:05 AM by RC-1136 »
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: What Star Wars retail looks like in Florida these days
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
Yup that's what it looks like here. I haven't seen a new TVC figure since Wave 3, five waves later, there's nothing on the shelf, not even TBS6. I did see a couple of archive figures a couple of months ago, but most likely they were returns. I've given up on Brick and Mortar. It's sad and frustrating going to the toy sections anymore. I still need a few TVC figures, but I don't want to pay $20 for them.

There's a market for this stuff, but they don't put it out. Just because they couldn't sell several cases of wave one, doesn't mean, there isn't a market. Wave one was terrible, just meh figures.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:25:13 PM by JDeck »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »
Yup that's what it looks like here. I haven't seen a new TVC figure since Wave 3, five waves later, there's nothing on the shelf, not even TBS6. I did see a couple of archive figures a couple of months ago, but most likely they were returns. I've given up on Brick and Mortar. It's sad and frustrating going to the toy sections anymore. I still need a few TVC figures, but I don't want to pay $20 for them.

There's a market for this stuff, but they don't put it out. Just because they couldn't sell several cases of wave one, doesn't mean, there isn't a market. Wave one was terrible, just meh figures.

I'm not sure it's going to recover. It's so bad right now and I'm not one bit sure what the solution is.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
I'm in the distribution business and the one thing they stress the most are out of stocks. You can't sell what isn't there. If toy sales are down, the reason is, because they aren't available to sell. It's pretty simple. Empty shelves are unacceptable. Personally I would consider any remaining wave one figures to be "out of date", mark them down get rid of them in order to make room for the new stuff.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 05:24:56 PM »
I'm in the distribution business and the one thing they stress the most are out of stocks. You can't sell what isn't there. If toy sales are down, the reason is, because they aren't available to sell. It's pretty simple. Empty shelves are unacceptable. Personally I would consider any remaining wave one figures to be "out of date", mark them down get rid of them in order to make room for the new stuff.

While I agree with you, nothing new comes in unfortunately. Only the TFA and TLJ stuff sat rotting on shelves. Any Vintage Stuff would pretty much fly off the shelves. I guess after all that stuff sitting there for so long, they aren't going to invest in stocking anymore Star Wars stuff locally.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 06:03:52 PM »
The only peg warmers I've seen outside of Wave one, are female characters. Rey, Jyn Erso, Rose Tico. Also the Rathtar deluxe figure. The repetitive problem seems to be over ordering certain waves, even when Walmart had TBS3.75 exclusives, they had the same problem with the TFA wave.

What Hasbro should do is hire merchandisers to go, check out the stores, possibly buy back peg warmers, and fill the shelves with brand new product. Then either sell the buy back figures to outlet stores or donate them to Salvation Army for a tax write-off.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »
The only peg warmers I've seen outside of Wave one, are female characters. Rey, Jyn Erso, Rose Tico. Also the Rathtar deluxe figure. The repetitive problem seems to be over ordering certain waves, even when Walmart had TBS3.75 exclusives, they had the same problem with the TFA wave.

What Hasbro should do is hire merchandisers to go, check out the stores, possibly buy back peg warmers, and fill the shelves with brand new product. Then either sell the buy back figures to outlet stores or donate them to Salvation Army for a tax write-off.

This is the best solution I've yet heard. I wish they would adopt this solution.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:24:07 AM »
They used to, years ago, have merchandizers that would go out into the stores, but they got rid of them. I do think they helped.

And yes, my pegs here in WV/Western MD pretty much look the same. All I saw yesterday was two archive six inch figures and a few six inch figures. Nothing vintage at all and no sign of 3.75" figures.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 06:52:33 AM »
I would so do that job on my days off. Just go in the stores, stock the shelves, credit out old stock, sell the old stock to Five Below or whatever. I would only have to do that when the new waves release. Hasbro, I will work for figures, give me a case a week and we're good.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:16:27 AM by JDeck »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 08:35:45 AM »
I would so do that job on my days off. Just go in the stores, stock the shelves, credit out old stock, sell the old stock to Five Below or whatever. I would only have to do that when the new waves release. Hasbro, I will work for figures, give me a case a week and we're good.

That would be a sweet gig honestly. Maybe they could do something like this like Neca does the Ambassador program?

http://necaonline.com/2018/10/target-ambassador-program/

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
That's awesome. I like small companies, they think outside the box to create solutions. Hasbro has said they're working on fixing bad distribution for years, but now, it's worse than ever.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »
That's awesome. I like small companies, they think outside the box to create solutions. Hasbro has said they're working on fixing bad distribution for years, but now, it's worse than ever.

Yeah, NECA customer service is on point. I've had them replace a whole figure ($35 investment) because of a manufacturing defect. Also replaced missing parts for free. If Hasbro could take some lessons from that and produce things we actually like, I'd be all over clearing the shelves.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »

Yeah, NECA customer service is on point. I've had them replace a whole figure ($35 investment) because of a manufacturing defect. Also replaced missing parts for free. If Hasbro could take some lessons from that and produce things we actually like, I'd be all over clearing the shelves.

Really??? Cuz I just got the Gamer Gremlin (neca) and as soon as I took the glasses out they snapped in half! I wasn't even going to open it for that reason! Since I have a huge alien and the head just strait fell off trying to pose it and the joint/slot ruined so it won't even go back on or stay.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »

Really??? Cuz I just got the Gamer Gremlin (neca) and as soon as I took the glasses out they snapped in half! I wasn't even going to open it for that reason! Since I have a huge alien and the head just strait fell off trying to pose it and the joint/slot ruined so it won't even go back on or stay.

Yep! NECA is great. Reach out to them on social media or call directly. They will assist you. As long as it's a recent purchase and you have proof of purchase you should be fine.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:14:53 PM by RC-1136 »