Author Topic: AT-ST parts.  (Read 1911 times)

Offline TIEpilot

• Ensign
AT-ST parts.
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:14:39 AM »
Looking for all guns for the latest AT-ST's that have come out.
Both chin turrets and side mounted weapons.

Original or cast in resin.
The one cannon does not need to be able to fire missles, just looking for the look of each cannon.

Thought Resin would work, only because a.) I am new to doing  customs and I have a hard time cutting original parts yet, even painting them is tough sometimes.
I know that sounds rally dumb but that is just the way I am...

Thanks
TIEpilot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: AT-ST parts.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
Welcome to the Yards.

The only person I know of here who has torn us some of the newer ones is one Clonesniper78 who is also a caster. You might pm Tom to see what he thinks.

Offline TIEpilot

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
Great thanks..
I am working on a vehicle project and I envision these guns on it.

I don't want to show pics yet untill it is done,
Plus not sure if it will be worthy of being on the yards.....

TIEpilot

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
Trust me, there's no such thing as "not worthy"!   >:D

If you can post pics of the parts, us casters will eyeball them and see if we think we can pull it off.

Offline TIEpilot

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »
First time trying to post pictures so here goes.

These are the turrets/guns that I am looking for. I have included my first custom to use as a size reference.

TIEpilot

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
I could have the smallest "rocket pod" one ready in under 72 hours, just by eyeballing it, from prepping to mold up to first pull.

On that "chin gun" - do I see a screw-head tucked up in a recess there?  Being able to disassemble the parts will be a large bonus.

Some of those would definitely be challenging!  But overall, *just from your pics,* I think they could be done.  BUT!  It wouldn't be cheap at all.  They have a *very* limited application and appeal, so there's likely little chance for recovering the cost of the mold - NOT an insubstantial expenditure - through volume of sales.

Offline TIEpilot

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
The Chin Turret with the firing mechanism does come apart, but the firing aspect is not needed.
would you have an estimate at cost??

Both of the bigger chin turrets do move and this is not needed as well as I know that will be more difficult.

I want the peg to be able to insert them into the project I am working on...

I do understand that the cost of making the molds for something that is not needed by lots of people it might be hard to recoup costs.

Been thinking of trying to cast them myself but I have never done anything like that before....
I think though if soneone could make good molds more people might be interested in them. with the mini-rig compition going on right now these would work out great in my opinion..

The 3rd pic, the one with the droid and the gun, the gun has 2 screws that do come out. there are springs on the inside to fire the missiles...
Thanks for all the help
TIEpilot

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
Eh.  Estimating costs on the molding is tough without a good set of measurements of the parts.  I know my 1"-cubed box used 3oz of HSIII to produce a 5-sided mold with a large opening on one side to make a solid object.  Put simply, it was a very simple straightforward mold.  Multi-piece molds become much more finicky to design and produce as the parts increase in complexity.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:04:23 AM »
Doc, 

Here is the rough size of these if you are thinking of casting. See pics. 

Tiepilot,  if you just need this 1 drop me a pM and we can try to work something out.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »
*At a guess* it would use a minimum of 8oz of silicone.  But this also will vary, depending on how well the part breaks down into smaller pieces and what they look like.  Looks like you end up with a 2"x2"x1" breach section and then two barrels (might be a single unit by connecting together inside the breach area...)

It is *probably* doable and might even be feasible.  Heck, it might even end up using less HSIII than I think.