Author Topic: idea give away  (Read 4909 times)

Spookymufu

idea give away
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »
Okay, didnt know a better place to post this so here it is, feel free to move it if needed

Everyonce in a while I get an idea and if I cant do it my self I usually give em away to those that can pull it off.....

K, here it is;
while building my Hoth dio I came across some research on an item that I can fake but I cant get the exact look because I simply dont have the tools at this time (my stuff is all in storage). I would like to have some of these boxes to scatter around my SWs dios, they seem to appear in at least two of the movies and probably all three if I looked into ROTJ closer. Anyway, these are the boxes I am talking about...

I imagine if someone could make them and cast them to proper scale, many people would use them in their displays.......they can be glued together for the scanning crew boxes, great fodder for a storage or docking area, etc....

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: idea give away
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »
Delaton has recently created boxes like the upper two pics and made them available thru slayerdesignstudio.com.  As for that lower pic... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting.

Spookymufu

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »
basically the lower one is the same as the others but painted white with hoses out of it and two tanks on top.......I'll look into those you mentioned....

ah, yeah those are close but not the exact same....would be nice to have someone on this forum offering up SW boxes..... ;)

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27:10 PM »
Patience, grasshopper...   8)

Seriously, those boxes are on my personal list of masters to make, mold, and cast.  I wasn't aware of the Hoth one with tanks, but I think you are right and it is just the same box with a couple of tanks on top.  Easy mod to make.  They look like they would scale out.smaller than 1" tho, I think -  about 3/4" cubes or so. 

I'm guessing you want them moved up the priority list, then?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:32:28 PM by DocOutlands »

Spookymufu

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
 ;D

I have a mock up that is 1in square even, heres a better pic of that Hoth one....

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »
Yeah, 1" square is the way to go, based on our modeling.  Is there any way to get a better screen-shot of the Hoth one?  It *looks* like the central design is actually a diamond rather than a circle.  The Tattooine boxes have recessed holes, too, rather than protruding caps like the scanning crew box.

I have some ideas... a couple of approaches to try.  I actually have a pkg of 1" cubes I bought a month or so ago specifically for this project.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
Y'mean like ... this ... ?

Spookymufu

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
Y'mean like ... this ... ?

that looks pretty darn close, you got another pic of it?

I couldnt find a better image of the Hoth one other then that set moc-up piece

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »
Not yet - I'll shoot more, tho.

Where is that Hoth mock-up from?

The kids are loving this box adventure.  Before I showed my son the rough box, I had him close his eyes and imagine the screen-shot with 3PO in it (which we looked at extensively for scale comparison).  With his eyes closed, I set up the shot I posted and then moved him physically so that his head was in roughly the same position as the camera then had him open his eyes.  He was blown away.

Another approach I'm going to try is building just one panel that can then be combined to create boxes in whatever size or shape desired.  That way, I only have to get ONE PERFECT panel, rather than the 5 I built for the first prototype.

Spookymufu

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
that sounds like a good idea, then all one needs to do is assemble them as needed, you'd have to have some way for them to lock together, or line up somehow.

I believe that moc-up was done for one of the celebrations and was also used at other SW events.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
that sounds like a good idea, then all one needs to do is assemble them as needed, you'd have to have some way for them to lock together, or line up somehow.

I believe that moc-up was done for one of the celebrations and was also used at other SW events.

Exactly!  And yeah - designing the interlock will take a bit of work, but - as usual - I have some ideas.

And whew!  I was *hoping* that wasn't *your* handiwork!!  ;D  I'd'a wondered why the heck you were asking for someone ELSE to make them!!   >:D

Spookymufu

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I could do it full scale, but I cant do it at 1/18, I just dont have the equipment to do it....

this is the best I could do in 1/18 with out my tools, this still needs to be painted and some more do-dads applied
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:35:47 AM by Spookymufu »

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:38:59 AM »
Me, either - not that precisely.  Yet.

More pics:

Off to Hobby Lobby to get more molding and casting supplies!  I plan to pour HSIII on this first box TONIGHT so I can test-cast it soonest (tomorrow eve or so) and see how it looks.

Spookymufu

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
looking forward to it.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
lookin good
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots